VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Default NMO and 1/4 wave on Aircraft

Have RV6 I'm helping a buddy with. Installing APRS. Any of you used an NMO mount and a 1/4 wave on an aircraft? Thinking of installing on belly and about half way up the whip (or down, as the case may be) bending it at a 45 degree angle.

I've seen NMO's mounted on CAP aircraft for their VHF FM radios--cannot think why it would NOT work except for excessive speed that may cause the whip to bend back against the skin--but need input please.

HUGO
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM
been here awhile

I've been flying a 1/4 wave AV-14 Rami commercial band antenna on the belly of my RV-6 for several years. It is a fine performer with the Byonics RTG tracker. However, it doesn't use the NMO mount. I considered one of the small blade NMO antennas but never got around to trying one.

I started out with a home-made 1/4 wave whip made from 1/8" stainless welding rod and never had an issue with it flexing in the slipstream.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 03-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.