VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up Thanks to Byonics and Allen!

My RTG with Pete Howell antenna has been serving me well since it was first installed in my RV-8 wingtip. Recently I noticed it wasn't getting out in the manner I had become accustomed. Allen said to send it to him and it would be thoroughly checked out.

He found a couple of components that were not up to spec and he changed them out. He also made some observations about my antenna setup. He tested the unit and recommended one of their antenna. I am certainly not into the science antenna so I said sure.

The radio is back in place and for the first time ever the transmissions are being received while I am on the ground. I believe that is a result of the improved antenna performance.

I suppose the reason for this post is just to once again thank Byonics and Allen for the technology and service they provide us with.

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."
Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM

Tell us about the new antena...
I also have a Pete Horton J-pole in my wing-tip, and am very satisfied with the performance. What is the configuration of the new antena?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Here is the antenna page link: http://www.byonics.com/mt-antennas

It is the V6 antenna.

I was very happy with previous antenna, however this antenna is outperforming it. I only mention this as a point of reference as that is often the only way to make informed decisions. Same radio, same airplane, same installation and the first notable difference is in improved reception.

Last edited by gnuse : 06-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:13 PM
hall monitor

Is the V6 in the wingtip?
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM

Yes, it is horizontal in the wingtip. It is held down with 3M auto trim tape in the wingtip as the Pete Howell was. Allen did suggest that I move the GPS as far away from the RTG as possible so that the transmitter wouldn't likely interfere with GPS reception.

I guess I should have mentioned that our airport is tucked in the mountains of north Georgia, so transmitting to an iGate is not as easy as it is at Pryor Field, Sam.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuse View Post
Yes, it is horizontal in the wingtip. It is held down with 3M auto trim tape in the wingtip as the Pete Howell was. Allen did suggest that I move the GPS as far away from the RTG as possible so that the transmitter wouldn't likely interfere with GPS reception.

I guess I should have mentioned that our airport is tucked in the mountains of north Georgia, so transmitting to an iGate is not as easy as it is at Pryor Field, Sam.
Glad to know there is another good wingtip antenna option. Thanks for the report.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Glad to know there is another good wingtip antenna option. Thanks for the report.

ditto, thanks

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 06-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Might as well add my thanks to Allen as well.
My byonics unit wasn't working. Sent the whole package to Allen. He tested it and replaced the Pete Horton antenna with the v6. Mounted in the wing tip easily. Everything now working great. A friend tells me that stations up to 160 miles away are receiving my data.
Tom
repeat offending-8A N116TP-Now Flying
based in Copperhill, TN 1A3
vaf 2016 dues paid

Last edited by tomhanaway : 06-18-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 PM

Default The mystical properties of antennae...

You are very welcome! I always recommend Pete's antennas to RV owners and composite ship owners that don't want to put through-holes in their fuselage. For some strange reason, I just had one or two people with problems getting their signal out. When one of the J-poles came back with an RTG to test, I noticed that the antenna would not load the transmitter properly, and the RTG would go into the deadly SWR-induced continual reset mode. These few incidences were unique, so I gave out a few of our V6 antennas to see if the problem resolved. In these cases, it fixed things, but I still don't know why some J-poles seem to be happy on an RTG and some freak out a bit. My confidence in Pete's antennas is fully intact!

Allen
VHS/BYONICS
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Did you happen to have a pic of your V6 install? What cable did you use to run through the wing?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuse View Post