- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-29-2014, 03:34 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Nice write-up Allen. One other issue is that aircraft need far less transmit power than terrestrial stations, due to lack of obstacles. It is good Karma to use only the power that you need for the task.

I've had good luck with a 300 mW transmitter. I thinK that tx power over a watt or two would be pushing it.

Cheers
Vern VA7VRL
The dilemma we face with aviation trackers is that low power is sufficient at altitude but we need more power down low for emergencies. The main reason I use a tracker is so I can be found after an unplanned arrival in a soybean field....down in a valley.

Maybe some day we will have an easy way to modify transmitter power dependent on AGL altitude but that will require a tracker with a terrain database. Until then I will run my tracker at full power.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Allen, I like the way you think, and your product is instrumental to how we've operated for the last seven years. We're doing the same as Sam for nearly the same reasons I suspect. Here is our profile: I'm stuck flying a desk and Tanya goes out for some practice on a blowy day. Watching the aprs I can see the whole sequence, critique how flight lead is compensating for winds, etc... . But back in the pattern, things are surely "sporty" with given winds. Base to final turn... (hair on back of neck given that I'm sitting in a chair somewhere.) The very best track point of the entire flight is to see the airplane taxiing back to the hangar. That is the important part for me in that scenario that happens often. The rest is just gravy.

Now I'm ready to get my geek on and do some very simple text messaging, but I might standby to see Pete's next prototype .
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Default Automated Wx Pireps!

How about sensing when the aircraft is stable in course and altitude, then reporting Winds Aloft and Temps on an infrequent basis along your route. Every 15-20 minutes would provide a pretty complete data picture for NOAA. I wonder if they'd like the feed?

This would require tapping a serial air-data output from your EFIS (all APRS users have one, don't we?) and picking out the useful stuff and recoding it into the APRS packet.

We could also use a simple touch pad interface to manually add other Wx and Icing info.

I've been looking for a fun Raspberry PI touch screen project. Looks like I found one...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Default EFIS Data

My understanding is that EFIS Data is not serial data in the sense we commonly understand the term ( Just from what I have gleaned looking over the manuals) But perhaps someone has already figured out a way to read and parse that Data? Of course, any APRS tracker already has at least one spre telemetry channel is someone was motivated to add an external temperature IC. The RTG has one built into the box, and adding another one means adding two resistors and an LM335Z temperature sensor. No clue as to how you would read winds aloft!

Allen
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
How about sensing when the aircraft is stable in course and altitude, then reporting Winds Aloft and Temps on an infrequent basis along your route. Every 15-20 minutes would provide a pretty complete data picture for NOAA. I wonder if they'd like the feed?
This. Build It, and somebody will use it. Further automation (not necessarily with your EFIS) could be turbulence (from a smartphone/tablet, using its internal motion sensors). Combined with the temps and winds, useful for automatic PIREPS.

Last edited by Buggsy2 : 11-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.