What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB Fuselage, QB Wings?

PatrickN

I'm now working on my RV-14 tailcone and getting ready to order the next kit. I'm considering doing a slow build fuselage now and ordering quickbuild wings later.

Some searching around on the forums showed that the RV-7 wing kit includes some of the parts needed to build the fuselage, but couldn't find much info on the RV-14 in this regard.

Has anyone built the RV-14 fuselage before the wings or know of any wing kit parts that need to be ordered with the fuselage?
Thanks!

I have a PDF of all the standard components for all RV14 kits, send me your email and I will send it to you.

I built SB fuselage, then ordered QB wings (which are now wrapped up). I enjoyed building the fuselage - but it took a bit longer than I anticipated. The only part of the wing kit that's needed for fuselage build (I ordered one - around 10 bucks as I recall) is the W-00026 Alignment Template that aligns various parts (mostly used for aileron/flap alignment but also used to align flap torque arms in fuselage). Be sure to give plenty of time for next kit to arrive - I wasted about a month waiting on my fuselage kit.

Last edited:
Not sure it is relevant to the -14 but on the -7 the spar center section in the fuselage is part of the wing kit. In my case I did a slow build wing and ordered a QB fuselage so I could be building the wing while the fuselage was on order. Vans kept the matching center section of the wing kit to ship with the QB fuselage order.

The -14 with current manufacturing technology may not need to do something like this.
Figs

I built SB fuselage, then ordered QB wings (which are now wrapped up). I enjoyed building the fuselage - but it took a bit longer than I anticipated.

This is the route I took on my RV10 build. I too am enjoying the fuse build, but it is taking longer than I thought. When I ordered, I told the ladies at Van's that I was doing a SB Fuse with QB wings and they modified the order as needed for me. Not even sure what was different, they simply said they'd make the appropriate changes.

The -7 is different from the -14 /-10 because the first kit is just the empennage, it doesn't come with the tail cone. Reason being that with the -7/-8/-9 there are longerons (alum. angle) that goe from the tail to the firewall. Those are the longest parts of the airplane. In the -14/-10 the tail cone comes with the first kit and is then just attached to the fuse. So there are no longerons that go all the way to the end of the plane.

Even then you may build the fuse before the wings on the -14 and the -7 but in the case of the -7 you will be panelized in the shipping because they will have to ship you 2 alum. angle that are ridiculously long...

You will need the wing alignment template for the fuselage. This comes in the wing kit, so order it early.

I am also considering a SB fuselage and QB wings. I know times vary with all builders, but would someone have a rough range for number of hours to build SB fuselage?

Thanks from a first time poster.

Shawn
RV-14 #140473

Took me 440.5 hours to do the fuselage. Applied water-based epoxy two-part primer to all interior surfaces.

2cOatO55mbgRxYtkq30Nnh5TsT_PTRSa7et_37K0y2CvDmjiBvVJlWAqDCWTlNy0TIY_z3eoH0BUd6a-w75OupgSv1diHW3VKjo3R705As48pRzcyHxySYIepB1ZQ-sI5tLhKxcUIlS6RnQtaapS61CBjCA8wfZvZ3oM_Ar8A5TB_NKZtByUAKVSF_EEvUNKE61tTukloP33ruBNq9P8NRJ9ytwdlmavkEl3Ijq1xNLb9AxATm3oHoGbvX-IBteuolt1C0sn73pqqwEZFURoreFEFsNVabbvs_S_pwV5e6lWKB8iCRr156K623oIrViJm4citzHcslgN8ysmZOzUZLUB416wXdGzQODM22OTNwRsECjq0PrRotAAxLAekA-HQpev_H8X8UUJNeDU4S_KU_FGqb-qGE7s7HBz1rPOJl48PWV5zhC9bxmKyibnV2wOAcuFkFviLhPh608qNTjvzXtNxy2ajqNKdSF6SlZwu6bJ5zYhQ0ZMYTzz06ySkX_I7WYE8zL1xfZ-Q8q0Gbr_nhmZBBNKE7TtbLap1mdrLcEt6ioPSlxoDNx_HcyEuXaFO6j1kxi6Rze8o9GgNb2pcUtijdFsoaqhFRrVSA0Ui_IuxIczGxrzHXbIB1jYyrkRfV06e-uCsHOUo_Hvay6RGY5PTqVR8i9uSw=w325-h390-no

*FTE-full time equivalent (8 hour, 5 days a week)

Examples of mostly fuselage parts following priming, from an uninteresting series of posts on priming at http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/search/label/Priming

IMG_6239.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

Back