- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Jack,
You can make a tool to tighten the B nut through the sending unit hole. Easier than removing tank and sending back. Itís in one of my prior posts
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd View Post
If you don't keep the ball in the center during climbout and the tanks are anywhere near full and you DONT smell fuel you aren't using all your available senses.
???
The tanks and/or hardware should not leak during slips/skids.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM

in a slip or skid you might be forcing fuel out of a vent if your tanks are full. The end of the vent tube at the top of the tank would be submerged.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
in a slip or skid you might be forcing fuel out of a vent if your tanks are full. The end of the vent tube at the top of the tank would be submerged.
It's especially bad if you've just filled up an -8....the underwing air vent really picks up the fumes of anything that spills from the fuel tank vents!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM

I guess they fixed this in the -10: the cabin air intake is forward of the fuel vents. Iíve never smelled any gas in a slip.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 PM

If you smell fuel in a -10 you have a leak.......
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 11-16-2017, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

I had a customer who mentioned he smelled fuel at takeoff and climb out as well in his RV-10. Looking at all of the usual culprits identified in this thread produced no telltale blue stains. With the cowling off, I pressurized the fuel system. Using a bright light and my finger I felt every fuel line and finally noticed a teeny crack in one of the injector lines that was just leaking enough to be wet, but not even wet enough to leave a blue stain. It only showed up when moving the mixture control to full rich. It could have been quite serious if left to propagate.

The moral of the story is to throughly check the lines from the tank to the cylinder, and pressurize them where possible.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 AM

Any chance you are over priming a bit? I see this on my plane occasionally (a Cozy). If I boost a bit too long fuel runs down and out the air filter, hits to cowl floor and I’ll smell it for several seconds on takeoff. You may find staining on the bottom of the air filter.
Agree with Vic also though, just had a friend who caught an injection line beginning to crack.
Tim Andres
Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I had a customer who mentioned he smelled fuel at takeoff and climb out as well in his RV-10. Looking at all of the usual culprits identified in this thread produced no telltale blue stains. With the cowling off, I pressurized the fuel system. Using a bright light and my finger I felt every fuel line and finally noticed a teeny crack in one of the injector lines that was just leaking enough to be wet, but not even wet enough to leave a blue stain. It only showed up when moving the mixture control to full rich. It could have been quite serious if left to propagate.

The moral of the story is to throughly check the lines from the tank to the cylinder, and pressurize them where possible.

Vic
Shoot fire! Good example of tenacity to believe your indications unless you prove them false.

Carl