Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 PM

You might have just drawn the short straw and ended up with a lemon. My second homebuilt had a 912ULS that developed a huge oil seal leak after 5 hours. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Perhaps after you pull your gearbox and open it up, you can take some pictures, host them somewhere on the internet and post the links to the hosting site up here, of the parts that wore out or failed? Worn dogs, Bellvue washers, clutches, etc.

If you'd like a larger sample size of gearboxes and oils they are run on, you might try posting up the same on the Rotax Bulletin Board, as this is a problem that is unique to Rotax 912 ULS and iS gearboxes in all aircraft, not just RV-12s.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-forum/search

Last edited by NinerBikes : 04-03-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Good ideas.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Any follow up on this yet, to the OP?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 PM

No yet, i've been so swamped with broken airplanes...
But, I did annual a Tecnam this week with a 914, and I could hear quite a bit of gearbox chatter around 2000 rpm. He has been using aeroshell sport 4+ exclusively. I just suspect that the gearbox additives are better with the Mobile 1. Apparently from what I have heard from Rotax gurus, the additives can only be put in motorcycle oils. Can't remember the details.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM

I presume that if you switch to mobile 1 as itís fully synthetic it would not suspend lead and so you couldnít running avgas at all. Iím guessing that is part of the trade off that rotax is making, having a blended oil provide benefits of both synthetic and mineral
Old 04-15-2019, 11:39 AM

True about the lead. More frequent oil changes might mitigate that a little.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
True about the lead. More frequent oil changes might mitigate that a little.
Not sure I'd roll the dice on that; the whole problem with the old a/c synthetic was that it didn't suspend the lead in the oil. If it's not holding the lead in suspension, then you won't be draining it out with the oil.

As a FWIW to the OP: Completely different system, but the designer/mfgr of the RWS reduction drive for rotaries switched from dyno automotive oil to synthetic automotive oil many years ago for its much better 'shear strength' when lubing the gears in the gearbox. (Most rotary guys run the cheapest auto fuel available; no concerns with octane or alcohol.)

Charlie

Last edited by rv7charlie : 04-15-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 PM

True about the avgas lead.
We rarely need to use avgas. Running about 60 hrs/month. I do 50 hour oil changes, and 100 hour inspections, but this is hobbs time. Flight time is actually 70% of hobbs, so technically they are about 35 hour changes, which is perfect. Currently using Aeroshell but once i replace the gearbox dog gears I'm switching to Mobile 1. I have yet to hear of any gearbox issues when running Mobile 1. Not a big sample size though, hence the inquiry.

We just put in an order on a new SLSA, really would like to have a firm idea before we start to operate it. My goal is to have four RV12s and an AutoGyro on the flight line.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Would the Mobil 1 be the type for motorcycles? This would be for the slip clutch that's for prop strikes?