VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Just started RV12is

Hello, my name is Ed... I just received my first shipment from Vans... an RV12is empennage kit. As luck would have it there was damage during shipment but Vans has been nothing short of terrific in their response. I hope to begin fabrication efforts tomorrow morning. I've already got most of the tools I'll need but I'm a bit concerned about dimpling. I assume the DRDT-2 is the way to go but at almost 500 bucks it's a bit out of reach at the moment. Are there any used units to be found?
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM

You’ll need a hand riveter as not all parts can be bench riveted. You’ll need to install some on the sub assemblies, which can’t be lifted or positioned on a bench.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyuma View Post
Hello, my name is Ed... I just received my first shipment from Vans... an RV12is empennage kit. As luck would have it there was damage during shipment but Vans has been nothing short of terrific in their response. I hope to begin fabrication efforts tomorrow morning. I've already got most of the tools I'll need but I'm a bit concerned about dimpling. I assume the DRDT-2 is the way to go but at almost 500 bucks it's a bit out of reach at the moment. Are there any used units to be found?
Thanks.
There is a good recommended tools list in the front of the manual (section 3 maybe?)
A dimpling tool is not one of the things on the list because the only dimpling you will have to do on an RV-12 can be done with the recommended 3 “ reach hand rivet squeezer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 PM

What do you mean by hand riveter? Do you mean a pneumatic squeezer? If so, I already have one.

Most of the rivets in the RV12 are pop rivets. I received 2 boxes of pop rivets, one box contains 10,000 rivets and the other at least 2,000. Thankfully the instructions said I didn't need to count them.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
There is a good recommended tools list in the front of the manual (section 3 maybe?)
A dimpling tool is not one of the things on the list because the only dimpling you will have to do on an RV-12 can be done with the recommended 3 “ reach hand rivet squeezer.
Thanks so much... what a relief. I have been watching Jason Ellis' YouTube videos on his RV10 build and he spent many hours dimpling. What a relief I don't need to spend an additional $500 on a dimpling machine, but on my next build, the RV-14, I'm guessing I'll need one then.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by hand riveter? Do you mean a pneumatic squeezer? If so, I already have one.

Most of the rivets in the RV12 are pop rivets. I received 2 boxes of pop rivets, one box contains 10,000 rivets and the other at least 2,000. Thankfully the instructions said I didn't need to count them.

Thanks
An RV-12 can be built with just a hand rivet squeezer ( a manual version of a pneumatic squeezer).
What you may be talking about is a pneumatic rivet puller for blind rivets. If so, you will also need a rivet squeezer for setting solid AN rivets for installation of nut plates, etc.
I suggest you take a look at the tool list in the manual. It would be considered the minimum that you will need. For a visual of what some of the tools are look at some of the tool supplier web sites.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 AM

Search Aircraft Spruce for "12-01467". The DIMPLE DIE SET is used with a hand rivet squeezer.
The good news is that you do not need a $500 dimpling machine.
The bad news is that it will still cost you almost as much to buy a Main Squeeze Kit SCHKITW
from Cleveland Tools along with rivet dies.
Some builders buy another cheap squeezer for use only with the dimple dies.
Having two squeezers saves a lot of time changing dies.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks
As others have translated for me, technically I should have said “hand rivet squeezer”, which utilizes rivet and dimpling dies.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
As others have translated for me, technically I should have said “hand rivet squeezer”, which utilizes rivet and dimpling dies.
I ordered a hand squeezer from Aircraft Spruce.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF, and Congratulations

Quote:
Hello, my name is Ed... I just received my first shipment from Vans... an RV12is empennage kit.
Ed, welcome aboard the good ship VAF, congrats on getting you feet wet

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."