Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Hopefully there will be posts by others that have flown an RV-12 a lot because it is likely that they don't fully agree with the above.....

I don't find it touchy... I would call it responsive (like driving a sportier car compared to a 1/2 ton pick-up)

Moderate turbulence will make the rid uncomfortable in most any light general aviation aircraft. yes it has light wing loading (all LSA's do by definition, to meet LSA performance requirements). I have no problem flying one on most any day that I would be willing to fly any other lighter single engine gen av airplane.

An RV-12 comes down just fine when flown properly.

Touching down at 60? Knots?
Then my suggestion would be that you search for a different instructor.
Don't know if you're familiar with Santa Ana winds in Southern California. Added half the speed to landing of the crosswind component.

A RV-12 is "responsive" compared to a 172. Everything seems to respond faster, climb faster, etc. I do also remember that "Sport" is in the definition of "LSA".

Scott, while most of your builders and pilots are former pilots, a few of us are LEARNING from scratch, in an RV-12. Perceptions vary. IMHO, and MHO only, it's quick in response. Certainly compared to the Cessna's I've flown. It's not a negative feature. You just get a lot of results from a little bit of input. Maybe "touchy" wasn't the best choice of words.

When you are new to this, moderate turbulence flying feels like a good jousting in an RV-12. Time and experience, hopefully will change that feeling. It's not good when you're in it, and you start feeling queasy, as was the case flying back from Copper State FlyIn.

First impressions, Scott, first impressions. I still have the RV grin.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 03-14-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM

Randy,

Your lack of experience with other airplanes is showing a bit in your post. Some of the characteristics that you present in a rather negative tone are the very things that endear the airplane to the majority of ‘12 pilots. True, it is a very responsive airplane with light control pressures required, but to desribe it as “twitchy” or “slippery” gives the wrong impression.

And, your advice on landing speeds might be OK if all you operate out of are very long runways, but generally speaking, carrying excess speed in the approach is a bad habit in any airplane.

John
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Cool DF Signature Series RV-12 On The Market!

It is not often a DF Signature Series RV-12 comes on the market. Anyone interested in an RV-12 should want to snatch this one up. I know Dave and watched him build this DF Series RV-12. With Dave's experience having already built one and being an A&P mechanic you can have confidence in the workmanship put into this 2nd DF Signature Series RV-12. Dave is very picky about his aircraft being perfect and he is honest to a fault. Check out the custom DF Series Corinthian leather seats, they are a dream. Dave is a Flight Instructor if you need some training in this RV-12 you can probably work out a deal in the purchase package

VAF 2019 Donation Current

Last edited by Skunkworks : 03-15-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjhirsch View Post
I'm shamelessly asking for a demo ride in an RV12.

Long time stalker of this site (even pay dues!) and very interested in the RV12.

I live in Baltimore and was wondering if someone within appropriate flying distance could take me up. I have good availability in the last 2 weeks of March.

I have a PP license and rent out of Martin State.

Still not sure if I want to buy or build. I'm now leaning more towards buying, because I'm tired of renting.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Buy it and enjoy. Take my good buddy Dave12 on his offer he is a short hop from Martin State. A class act gentleman and a skilled craftsman. Did a lot of work on my airplane.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Randy,

Your lack of experience with other airplanes is showing a bit in your post. Some of the characteristics that you present in a rather negative tone are the very things that endear the airplane to the majority of ‘12 pilots. True, it is a very responsive airplane with light control pressures required, but to desribe it as “twitchy” or “slippery” gives the wrong impression.

And, your advice on landing speeds might be OK if all you operate out of are very long runways, but generally speaking, carrying excess speed in the approach is a bad habit in any airplane.

John
Which Randy?
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
Which Randy?
Me... not you... unless you are inexperienced.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Randy,

John
Not my intent to imply it's negative. It is sensitive, in inexperienced hands. As to the landing speed, we were probably right a 1280 to 1290 # on landing, pretty heavy, less about 4 to 5 gallons of fuel.

Having come from motor cycles and mountain bikes, and seeing the same brand of grips from mountain bikes sitting there on the joy stick, my inclination, with a grip sitting there like that, is to grab a handful, not hold it between my thumb and index finger to operate. Perhaps that will help you with MY perception. It's a grip, yet it seems the RV-12 flys just fine with the touch of thumb and finger tip.

FAA has stated that the Sport Pilot License was designed to get more people into flying. Yet, from what I read, all it's been doing is getting PPL's that are about to lose their medical to switch to a SPL, so they can still fly on a drivers license. What I am seeing is schools teaching in SLA's because it's lowering their operating costs per hour, to teach.

Maybe I should just go look at a Kitfox 7 instead. I'm just not used to the stick getting mushy and a lot less responsive, going slower, yet... practice, practice, practice.

Another point... I live 4 miles N of KVNY 16, practically under the flight path in Los Angeles. Jet traffic is everywhere, here. I haven't flown into anything short... yet. It's very busy around here, in the air.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 03-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
Not my intent to imply it's negative. It is sensitive, in inexperienced hands. As to the landing speed, we were probably right a 1280 to 1290 # on landing, pretty heavy, less about 4 to 5 gallons of fuel.

Having come from motor cycles and mountain bikes, and seeing the same brand of grips from mountain bikes sitting there on the joy stick, my inclination, with a grip sitting there like that, is to grab a handful, not hold it between my thumb and index finger to operate. Perhaps that will help you with MY perception. It's a grip, yet it seems the RV-12 flys just fine with the touch of thumb and finger tip.

FAA has stated that the Sport Pilot License was designed to get more people into flying. Yet, from what I read, all it's been doing is getting PPL's that are about to lose their medical to switch to a SPL, so they can still fly on a drivers license. What I am seeing is schools teaching in SLA's because it's lowering their operating costs per hour, to teach.

Maybe I should just go look at a Kitfox 7 instead. I'm just not used to the stick getting mushy and a lot less responsive, going slower, yet... practice, practice, practice.

Another point... I live 4 miles N of KVNY 16, practically under the flight path in Los Angeles. Jet traffic is everywhere, here. I haven't flown into anything short... yet. It's very busy around here, in the air.
You're the guy that was an expert on Rotax gearbox and tuning last week but with very little actual Rotax experience as I recall. Perhaps a Kitfox would suit you very well indeed...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 490

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 03-16-2019, 05:22 AM

Default Hard to beat the RV-12, it is a dream machine!

Click on image to see an RV-12 landing at S37 and KPTW:
Jane has almost 1000 hours on her and she is a dream to fly. Can't say enough about the RV-12 and their capabilities as an economical ship. Sipping MOGAS at 5 or less gal/hr. Cruise easily at 120 knots. Last year Jane's 6th trip back from Oshkosh she did it in 5 hours one stop back to the Philadelphia area. As you can see I fly Jane year round. Oh and being an ELSA anyone can get their Repairman Certificate with a weekend ground course and can then do the Annuals on their RV-12. Woohoo!
]
VAF 2019 Donation Current

Last edited by Skunkworks : 03-16-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:20 AM

Default Dream machine video

Skunkworks, I just sent a PM. NICE VIDEO!
#120043 N728SL