Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM

What did the R4112 Silent Hektik regulator cost and what makes it better than the JD VR?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 421

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawks
and MJ Stricker (my flight instructor) - 1st Lt./Captain B-17H WWII
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM

As far as I can make out this is not an RV12 related issue rather a Rotax 912 problem, they do not seem to last long in any installation, carrying a spare is common here.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
What did the R4112 Silent Hektik regulator cost and what makes it better than the JD VR?
Jim - I can't speak for the JD regulator ... don't know about its specifications. However, I can state the Silent Hektik is rated for 47 amps at 14 volts and that means it will not be hanging on the ragged edge of failure while in use in the RV-12. I purchased the unit about a year ago and believe it was somewhere around $180 plus a little for shipping.

Below are a couple of photos of the unit ... you can tell just by looking it is designed to dissipate some heat.

Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM

John-G;
Would you share the name of the motorcycle dealer who delivered the Silent Hektik regulator ?.

thx
Tom O.
Olympia WA

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 AM

Default John - please give us an update

This is extremely interesting to me. Assuming that you have more than a years experience with this VR, could you please give us an update on you experience with it and your opinion as to whether or not this is the answer to the VR problem. Thanks, Ed Eliot
Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey rv12 View Post
John-G;
Would you share the name of the motorcycle dealer who delivered the Silent Hektik regulator ?.

thx
Tom O.
Tom - I used the WEB address that was a response to one of Jetguy's post in the following link. My contact there was Ian. ian@motoguzzisales.co.uk

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=130921

Ed - Sadly, I can't give you an update on how well the regulator performs because I have not installed the regulator yet. I was planning on installing it prior to the airworthiness inspection but ran out of time, so just temporarily threw in the Ducati regulator ... didn't even place the wires in the connector block because I knew it would not be a permanent install. I plan on installing the Silent Hektik unit between now and Spring thaw and keep the Ducati as a backup.

At this point in time I make sure the battery is charged prior to engine starts so the load on the Ducati regulator is as minimal as it can be, without the need to charge up the battery on top of supplying the avionics and lighting power.

Hopefully Jetguy can chime in and give us a performance review ... he should have more than a year on the Silent Hektik unit by now.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...93&postcount=7

Read the links in this post. It should be required reading for all 12 owners.

It has a temperature vs load chart, and a circuit diagram.

Heat HEAT HEAT

Do what ever is possible to keep that sucker cool. And thermocouple it to ensure it really IS cool. Then it should last 4000 hrs. My Kubota VR (similar) did.
Yeah, you would think heat is the main reason. For what it's worth, my Duc VR died at around 87 hours and I found the temperature sticker on it never exceeded 160-170F. That's the maximum it should be able to take, so no reason to die prematurely. I have 1 SkyView display and a lighting kit but rarely using more than the position lights.
I put the Silent-Hektik VR in it and it's working great for 100 hours in the same temperature range.

Details of the swap are here.
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
There was a small issue with the leads though, apparently the regulators are not available any longer with spade leads on the regulator ... now the regulator comes with wires coming out of the regulator with bullet connectors attached to the wires, not a big deal I'll just cut off the bullet ends and replace them with spade terminals for compatibility with the ends on the Rotax engine's wires.
Hm, when I ordered mine 2 years ago it seemed the F4112 was the drop-in replacement for the Duc VR with spades. Now, I see on their website that the drop-in replacement is the F4118, still showing spade connectors with improved charging electronics that support Li-Pos in addition to lead acid batteries.
Here's their translated web page for the Rotax VR: English translation
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track

Last edited by MacPara : 01-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Silent Hektik F4118 availability

I posted this under the Silent Hektik topic--reposting here:

The motorcycle shop in Great Britain which has been selling the SH regulator is now selling them on eBay--a bit pricey when adding in the postage, but at least they are available without having a friend pick one up for you in Europe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262818488520...;3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got one on order from them a few days ago, and, coincidentally, my Ducati just failed with about 120 hours on it--100 of it in the firewall forward location, and the remainder in the relocated position in the cockpit. Fortunately I have a spare Ducati unit to put in place until the SH unit arrives. The new Ducati will then return to its spare status. Has anyone come up with a nicely derogatory interpretation of DUCATI as an acronym, similar to "Fix It Again, Tony" for FIAT?
RV-12 #120332 N73HR
Austin, TX
TangoFlight Mentor
Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Default VR.....just some thoughts

I've been toying with the VR issue. Not really to fond of having to mess with one on a long cross country.

What about installing some rivnuts under the avionics bay shelf below where the fan blows exhaust air out....invert the regulator so cooling fins are directly underneath fan on a "U" bent shelf bracket which is bolted into rivnuts. Wounldn't have to remove avionics bay cowling cover to change VR, if need should arise.

I'm going to give it a try..along with installing a SH vr....everything I've read points to temp being the cause of failure.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid