VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-15-2019, 04:00 PM

I don't mean to be confrontational on the point. If any Federal agency can ID an aircraft, I would like to know exactly how they do it.

1200 code, anonymous ADS-B...how exactly are we tracked? Tech please.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
The FAA still sees and knows who you are. This just shields your N-number from the dirty masses. Any shenanigans done while your system is on, stay online somewhere, in an ultrasecure FAA server - forever.
Are you suggesting that Garmin conspired with the FAA to transmit a code only decipherable by the FAA while lying to all of us that we are anonymous?
Other than the first few seconds on start up that Dan H described I am going to believe Garmin.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Iacoviello View Post
Are you suggesting that Garmin conspired with the FAA to transmit a code only decipherable by the FAA while lying to all of us that we are anonymous?
Other than the first few seconds on start up that Dan H described I am going to believe Garmin.
Conspired, no. But I find it highly improbable and out of character to think the FAA would allow any device to transmit into the ADS-B system that was not fully identifiable. I have the GDL-82 and have installed the anonymous mode switch, but at this point in time, I believe I am identifiable in the FAA system. Those who believe you're anonymous - go do some acro in Class B or under an airway and get back with us. I will be impressed, but still not likely to follow your lead without more proof.

Houston

Last edited by Low Pass : 04-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Conspired, no. But I find it highly improbable and out of character to think the FAA would allow any device to transmit into the ADS-B system that was not fully identifiable. I have the GDL-82 and have installed the anonymous mode switch, but at this point in time, I believe I am identifiable in the FAA system.
Ahh, so what you meant to say was "In my opinion, the FAA still sees and knows who you are."

That's fair. We're all welcome to have an opinion.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Default Mmmm

Not quite on the same wavelength but in the UK even if you withhold your mobile (cell) number the police will know who sent it anyway.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The FAA still sees and knows who you are. This just shields your N-number from the dirty masses. Any shenanigans done while your system is on, stay online somewhere, in an ultrasecure FAA server - forever.
I don't believe this to be true. ADS-B transmits your ICAO code (the N number) and a Flight ID (also your N number, but can be changed..so if you're doing an Angel Flight, you may be ANGL55 etc.. or an airliner may be UA335).

If you are using a UAT transmitter AND you haven't filed a flight plan (or have requested ATC services) AND are squawking 1200, then you may transmit a randomized ICAO code and a blank Flight ID by pressing a dedicated button.

The -only- way big brother can track you is if the FAA or an ads-b receiver hears an unintentional squawk from you upon power-up* (or before you press your privacy button). In that case, its technically possible to associate the remainder of your flight with your N-number.. since in real life, god doesn't pull your pre-privacyized airplane out of the air at whatever GPS coordinates you announced, and insert someone else's plane at that same spot [after you press the button]...

*The TSO describing the system says that your unit must default to your correct ICAO code and N-number as your Flight ID on power-on. See AC 20-165.

If you are not using a UAT transmitter to be 2020 compliant and are using 1090ES, then there is no privacy provision available.. however, last I checked they were trying to change this rule.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
*The TSO describing the system says that your unit must default to your correct ICAO code and N-number as your Flight ID on power-on. See AC 20-165.
The advisory "requirements" of AC20-165B are based on DO-282B. Regardless of AC wording, there is no requirement in DO-282B to transmit the aircraft’s assigned ICAO 24-bit address during initial power on.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Breaking your GPS position by inverting your antenna too long may kick you out of Anonymous mode. Reported by aeroabatic types.

Starting under a mode 3A code other than 1200 and later being code 1200 and Anonymous may allow tracking. Flightaware selection of "position only" flights will show received, non-anonymous info.

Drift to the longer-term test thread, I think I have a solution for the uAvionix UATs.

Last edited by moosepileit : 04-17-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Drift to the longer-term test thread, I think I have a solution for the uAvionix UATs.

OK, Please tell the solution, as I'm probably getting an uAvionix.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Does anybody know the status of the lawsuit Garmin brought against uAvionix for patent infringement?