- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 11:21 AM

Default Glue?

Before I get a bunch more recommendations I'll say I already have one and have used it for about 400 hours. What I need is info regarding how the tire is bonded to the rim.

One hot day last summer the tire came off of the rim. I talked with one of the guys at flyboy last summer. I tried gluing it back on with proseal and that didn't work. I am trying 3M scotch grip now, still on the bench so I don't know how this might hold up.

I'm happy enough with the product, but I am just a tiny bit hesitant to purchase a second one knowing how the first one turned out.

I'm all ears if anyone wants to suggest a glue to attempt bonding the tire back onto the rim.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, thanks for the replies! I read my response and didn't want anyone to feel like I wasn't grateful for the recommendations and feedback. if I can glue this back together I will, I've been running the stock wheel since the failure and will have to decide if I want to splurge for another lightweight version.

Jim

"Flying north of the Arctic Circle and back - several thousand dollars,

Doing it in an RV you built yourself - PRICELESS!"

Last edited by Jimd : 11-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM

Jim,

I'm not sure what information you were given. If it was to glue the tire on with Proseal then I'll have to find out if the dog has been answering our tech support phone.

If I recall from talking to Dayton, the rubber is molded and vulcanized to the hub, not glued per se. Certainly, gluing the rubber back on in the rare cases that it comes off isn't recommended.

Dayton did have some separation problems early on with this tire, but that was years ago. We have seen very few problems with these, or our "deluxe" tire, but they are rubber and rubber will tear, rot, burn, etc... and fail occasionally.

Sure, these tires are a bit over a hundred bucks, but how much is your aircraft worth if that tire lets go at the wrong time and you ground loop into a Beech? Just get a new tire!
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Default glue

I had one come of the wheel several years ago. Dayton replaced it and has several hundred hours and no more problems.
Dues paid 2018
Dan "Nordo" West
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
Jim,

I'm not sure what information you were given. If it was to glue the tire on with Proseal then I'll have to find out if the dog has been answering our tech support phone.
The Proseal idea came from an offhanded comment Dayton made when I asked him about this particular case, and I relayed that back to Jim (though I also stated that I wouldn't consider it a recommendation).

So, I guess... WOOF WOOF grrrrr BOW WOW

Blake Frazier
Co-owner of Flyboy Accessories
VAF Advertiser

2018 Dues Paid 9/17/18