Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM

If you are using an aircraft paint shop, give them a call & ask their advice. They more than likely have experience with moving airframes around.
The more important questions are how to handle those nicely painted parts for the trip home.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Default 18' X 5'.

We moved our 8 almost 1,200 miles on a standard 18' tailor. We took the wings and full tail off and the gear as well. put the airframe to one side on false spare stubs and then sat the wings next to it on those 2" camping memory foam mats. The VS and Hs went on top of the wings or wherever it fits. Then the control surfaces and flaps were rapped in quilts and sat in the cabin area. Just remember to drive slow and easy no matter what everyone is doing around you. They will be looking and smiling all the way there wishing they could go too. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Great tips

Thanks a lot for the tips and words of encouragement! I'll send an update on each leg early next month when I do this.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:24 PM

I have an open bed trailer, 6'11"x16'2", that I have used to trailer my 8A project around ok. With the axle nuts off, and replaced with nuts fitting inside the outermost limit of the axles, then it fits on the trailer with less than an inch to spare on each side.
Ramps can be a problem - industry standard is bit short for RV projects. Aft bulkheads will bottom out unless you plan ahead (buddy lifting on the tail as it comes up the ramp).
C Dominey
Alvin, Tx