Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 PM

I have a power supply from radio shack with a cigarette lighter plug in that I use to power the main bus. I donít think they are available anymore but I got mine on eBay.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Jim-

I purchased the Odyssey OBC-12A charger which is Odyssey's 12 amp smart charger with various modes used during battery charging and have found it very capable of keeping the battery from discharging while doing extended button pushing or software upgrades to the Dynon SkyView. (It is also nice to have when performing the required bi-annual transponder pitot/static checks when the SkyView needs to be powered on for an extended period of time while those tests are being performed).

After connecting the charger to the Odyssey PC680 battery I wait for a few minutes while the charger completes the self test and switches to the charge mode before powering up the Dynon Skyview.

After the button pushing session, software updates or transponder tests are completed, I do one of two things. I'll leave the charger on to complete running through its various phases and remove it the next day if it has been a long while since the airplane has flown due to winter weather or I'll leave the charger on for a little while after completing the button pushing and do a pre-flight, remove the charger and go fly.

The Odyssey OBC-12A charger does a great job of keeping the battery from discharging while button pushing and looking through the SkyView's menu settings or during software updates.

My two Lincolns
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Sim

Jimbo doesn't have much of this answer, but: among others that is one reason I build MGL avionics in. Comes with a free sim as well. Practice, make your own screens if there aren't enough, practice some more.
Right at the kitchen-table.
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo54 View Post
New RV-12 owner here. I'd like to explore and practice using the Skyview while NOT flying nor running the engine. Concern: Running down the Odyssey battery.

Van's response: Should be okay for 15-20 minutes.
Dynon's response: Suggest hooking up to charger.
Odyssey's response: Don't use a charger; use a DC power supply with an adjustable voltage regulator - 0-10 amps, 14.4-14.8 voltage. OR - more simple: have a secondary battery you can hook up in parallel, or use instead of Odyssey battery.

Disclaimer: I am in over my head and don't want to make expensive mistake. Having posted a thread about charging Odyssey in this forum, the consensus was that Odyssey batteries like to be left alone; definitely don't use a trickle charger, and a significant number of responses advised not using any charger - complex or otherwise. However, Odyssey sells a charger specifically designed for maintenance.

Have any of you come up with an inexpensive and non-complicated procedure that would allow me to simply sit in the plane, turn the master switch on, and "play" with the Skyview for 15-20 minutes without jeopardizing the start-up of the engine and avionics at a later time?

Thanks in advance. Jim
I've done this many times for hours using my Odyssey with my float/charge state charger turned on. No issues other than good learning.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction