Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Skyview upgrade to SVtouch or get the dynon dongle?

Is it a good value to upgrade to SVtouch for 1295? My goal is more expeditious and exacting waypoint flight planning data input. Or, does dynon dongle data transfer from ForeFlight accomplish the same for a lot less cost? Doug
Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 PM

I don't use ForeFlight but I do a similar process with FltPlan & FltPlan GO. At least with that, the offline planning and upload into Skyview with the WiFi dongle is very smooth and, IMHO, I wouldn't upgrade to touch just for that.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 10-26-2018, 06:40 PM

Upgrade to touch for the faster processor, and get the dongle, works great with ForeFlight.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 PM

I would do both. $35 for the WiFi is a no brained, but touch is too if you can afford it.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I would do both. $35 for the WiFi is a no brained, but touch is too if you can afford it.
I couldn't agree more...almost. The WiFi is indeed a no brainer. My AFS 5600T has a clumsy flight plan input, and that's solved by the WiFi and (in my case) an ipad running FlyQ EFB. The touch, however, is over-rated, and I use mostly the buttons. BUT, if you have the discretionary money, why not upgrade.
RV8 N37PK
Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 PM

Default SkyView Touch

Another advantage to the touch screen upgrade, it is an new unit with a new 3 year warranty.

I had a 7 year classic, even though I had no problems with my unit, it was a no brainer for me.

Think about it, and decide what is best for you.

Brian.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Touch Upgrades??

Does Dynon still have an upgrade program from Classis Skyview to a Touch?

Could not find it on their website. Tim
Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 PM

Default Classic to Classic Touch

Tim,

Yes they do. It is a SkyView Classic to Classic Touch upgrade only, not to a SkyView HDX.

Call Tech support, tell them you want to do a screen upgrade and they will give you a RMA number and you send in your screen and they will copy all your files and setting over from your old screen to a new one. Normally it should only take a day or so. The cost, if my memory is correct is $1295 for the upgrade.

Then they will charge your CC for the upgrade and return your new screen to you.

Personally, I would make a copy of all your settings on your own memory stick before you send yours in.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 10-27-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Is it a good value to upgrade to SVtouch for 1295? My goal is more expeditious and exacting waypoint flight planning data input. Or, does dynon dongle data transfer from ForeFlight accomplish the same for a lot less cost? Doug
I do all my planning with Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB and upload it via wifi to my Skyview Touch. It takes seconds. Simply amazing! I would think it would work in a similar way with the standard Skyview. For $35, I would try that before dropping the money for the touch upgrade.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 10-27-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdtofly View Post
Personally, I would make a copy of all your settings on your own memory stick before you send yours in.
Also, manually record your HOBBS and TACH time, as these two pieces of information are not saved in the exported settings file. See page 21-3 of the System Installation Guide for instructions on what to do before removing your SkyView display to ship to Dynon.

Personally, I would not underestimate the flexibility and functionality of the Touch screen. I find it very useful to be able to use either the knobs/buttons or the touch fields on the screen depending on the circumstances.

For example on the PFD, it's great to be able to touch the Baro Field, Heading/Track Field, IAS Field, or Altitude Field and have the left knob automatically be set to that item for easy adjustment of that parameter.

Some other examples: Touch in the CHT/EGT section of the EMS and the Engine Page options appear on the bottom row above the buttons. It's a quick way to get to the Lean button.

For Autopilot expert mode, touch in the AP bar on the top left of the display, and if you touch on the left side the Roll menu appears in the bottom row of the display above the buttons. Touch on the right side of the AP bar and the Pitch menu comes up in the bottom row of the display above the buttons.

Touch in the Transponder box in the upper middle of the display and the Transponder menu appears in the bottom row of the display above the buttons.

All very handy.

I also run ForeFlight on an iPad Mini. I often make changes to the flight plan in-flight in FF and then send it via Wi-Fi to the SkyView Touch. Works well and is easy.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-27-2018 at 11:15 PM.