VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 10-23-2018, 06:49 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 630
Default Control colum pushrod question F-665

Hello everyone, I was wondering, did your length come out anywhere close to the suggested length by Van's? I'm assuming the two control sticks need to be parallel. If I do this my connecting rod is significantly shorter than the Van's 18-7/8" on the drawing (my rod ends are almost bottomed out into the hex tube). Thanks!

question by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 PM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 3,974
Default

Can you get the jam nuts on? Does the end of the hex rod and/or jam nuts stay clear of the stick weldment at full deflection?
If those answers are YES, you should be good to go.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2018, 05:15 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Can you get the jam nuts on? Does the end of the hex rod and/or jam nuts stay clear of the stick weldment at full deflection?
If those answers are YES, you should be good to go.
Thank you good sir, I'll go ahead and check that. Just thought it was weird how far off from the recommended dimension it should be.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2018, 05:25 PM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 3,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Thank you good sir, I'll go ahead and check that. Just thought it was weird how far off from the recommended dimension it should be.
Well, that is weird. This was not all that uncommon in the earlier kits, but you might double check with Vans. I was just at the weldment suppliers shop a few days ago having them weld up a hole I put in my boat. (Long stupid human story, me being that stupid human.)
The control weldments are made in a jig. They couldnít vary. There was a whole stack of them getting finished up.
So, my guess is the plans are just a bit askew.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Russ McCutcheon's Avatar
Russ McCutcheon Russ McCutcheon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Well, that is weird. This was not all that uncommon in the earlier kits, but you might double check with Vans. I was just at the weldment suppliers shop a few days ago having them weld up a hole I put in my boat. (Long stupid human story, me being that stupid human.)
The control weldments are made in a jig. They couldnít vary. There was a whole stack of them getting finished up.
So, my guess is the plans are just a bit askew.
Hi Jon, youíre right about the jig/fixture and itís same fixture today that the first control column was built on for the first production RV-6, probably even the prototype, fixture has never been changed.
__________________
Russ McCutcheon
www.mccutcheonmetalfabricationaviation.com
russmccutcheon@gmail.com
We build many of your RV weldments.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 630
Default

Well after looking at it a little closer and snugging things up I have found that the stop nuts still have threads past them and nothing seems to be interfering. At first I was thinking the different in measurements was on the edge of 1/2-3/4", turns out it is only 1/4". I think I can live with that unless someone thinks that I shouldn't, I see no reason why not.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 AM
Russ McCutcheon's Avatar
Russ McCutcheon Russ McCutcheon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Well after looking at it a little closer and snugging things up I have found that the stop nuts still have threads past them and nothing seems to be interfering. At first I was thinking the different in measurements was on the edge of 1/2-3/4", turns out it is only 1/4". I think I can live with that unless someone thinks that I shouldn't, I see no reason why not.
If you look very carefully at the bottom of WD-611 & 612 you will see the heat, hammer and anvil formed welded stampings that attach the aileron linkage to the sticks are not fit to the right and left stick in an exact mirror image (I know because I built them) this probably accounts for your ¼” more than anything else.

I think your fine, I might even go out on a limb and say all control linkage dimensions should be considered approximant and are adjustable to correct for any variances in the linkage system.
__________________
Russ McCutcheon
www.mccutcheonmetalfabricationaviation.com
russmccutcheon@gmail.com
We build many of your RV weldments.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 630
Default

Thanks Russ, your insight into this is very appreciated! I went ahead and installed everything, seems to all fit great.

20181025_181520 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Russ McCutcheon's Avatar
Russ McCutcheon Russ McCutcheon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Posts: 880
Default

Looks great Jereme, you keep that up and you're going to end up with an airplane!
__________________
Russ McCutcheon
www.mccutcheonmetalfabricationaviation.com
russmccutcheon@gmail.com
We build many of your RV weldments.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.