- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
SNIP

My right wing continues to be heavy

I have required significant left aileron trim correction to offset the heavy right wing.

I rechecked and rerigged according to specs. Everything is right on, in a static condition.

In flight, the left aileron will lower approximately 1/4 inch based on the trailing edges of the wing tip and flap vs the left aileron. The right aileron looks about in trail.

I attached a plastic trim wedge under the outboard side of the left aileron. In flight it corrected the amount of aileron trim required to almost zero. The left aileron trailing edge is still slightly lower then the trailing edge of the wing tip, the right aileron looks like it holds just slightly above, but very minimal.

Rich
Rich,

I offer if in level flight one aileron in trail and the other 1/4” down says rigging is not right. Add to that, the left aileron down would imply your left wing is heavy, not the right.

Look beyond stuff in line - this means little as you have not determined what “in trail” is for the ailerons. Take another look at my earlier post.

One other point, as previously mentioned always make sure you have the elevators clamped in neutral before you do any aileron rigging adjustments. The control input on the RV-10 is asymmetric - tending to pull they aileron push tubes when deflecting the elevators.

Carl
Old 09-23-2018, 08:17 PM

I sent you a pm
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 09-23-2018, 09:21 PM

My wing tips were way off on my -10 as they came from the factory and required that I split the trailing edge the full length to get them straight. Just a thought, but had I not done that I am sure I would have had issues trying to get the rigging right.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 09-24-2018, 07:15 AM

I double checked the rigging and it’s rght on. I clipped the right aileron in trail and deflected the left aileron down. There is enough play that, aerodynamically, airflow could be impacting it. As the great philosopher Forest Gump said “I’m not a smart man” and for me when it comes to understanding airflow, yep it describes me perfectly. I got some good info on what to check on the airfoils, so I will do that and see.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM

I've found the wintips aren't a good reference to use for aileron alignment. Use the flaps. Can you post pics of the flap to aileron alignment in flight?

Are you extra certain the flaps are both equally and fully up?

What's your weight on each of the main wheels? Have you run the heavy wing tank low to see how much weight it takes to get it "not heavy"? Not sure why yet, we have 30lbs on the left wheel which I think is the main cause of our heavy left wing. When we burn 10g off the left tank it's much better. Also, our right flap is slightly lower than the left in reference to the fuselage when fully retracted. Next time our wing roots are off, i'm starting at the flap.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrcrmatt View Post
I've found the wintips aren't a good reference to use for aileron alignment. Use the flaps. .
No they are not. But if they don't line up straight with the ailerons when the ailerons and flaps are in alignment, they will act as a big trim tab.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 09-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
I double checked the rigging and it’s rght on. I clipped the right aileron in trail and deflected the left aileron down. There is enough play that, aerodynamically, airflow could be impacting it. As the great philosopher Forest Gump said “I’m not a smart man” and for me when it comes to understanding airflow, yep it describes me perfectly. I got some good info on what to check on the airfoils, so I will do that and see.
Based on your rigging and flying information, it sounds like you have some play in the ailerons that needs to be corrected. There should be zero play between the left and right movement.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Changing the aileron rigging will not cure a heavy wing! The ailerons will always trail where the forces are equal. If one trails low and the other high; that means they are in equilibrium. The problem is in the wing's incidence. If the wing was built with a different twist than it's mate; it will have a different average incidence than the wing on the other side.

Low or heavy wing cure is to slot the aileron hinge brackets and move the whole aileron down on the heavy wing: it's a bandaid patch but it works!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:36 AM

Default Aileron hinge position

So, the aileron hinge issue can in fact cause what you have. Stand in front of the plane and get the ailerons in neutral, look along the bottom surface of the wing skin and see if you have an aileron(focus on the aileron leading edge, not trailing edge) that is lower/higher on the outboard side than the inboard side..in other words, one hinge is drilled lower/higher than the other. The fix is to slot the hinge U channel bracket or drill up a new one. I had this scenario on my -4, which I built,and it took a while to figure it out.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 AM

What Bill said.

While slotting of the aileron bracket will address a low or high aileron (common problem), it does not fix the ailieron that is not parallel to the wing - or not the same spacing as the other aileron. Here the solution is to order the “no hole” aileron bracket(s) from Van’s and drill the mounting hole off center as needed to fix the problem.

The other most common problems are:
- Rigging the plane with one or both flaps not all the way up.
- Fitting the wingtips before final rigging - and ending up wingtips out of line.

Carl