- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Default Rv12is Pre Fabricated Rigid Fuel Lines

The Rv-12is fuselage has a multitude of rigid fuel lines that are required to be fabricated by the builder.

Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines have been undergoing a joint infrastructure project to increase our rigid tube capabilities. We currently offer a complete rigid tube package for the rv-14, and a multitude of rigid lines for the rv-7/9 series of aircraft. We are well along into the development of a complete rigid tube drop in package for the rv-12is fuselage.

We are looking for two beta testers who are building the rv-12is fuselage and will be ready to install cabin lines in the April time frame. If anyone is interested in participating in this project, please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com.

When we are ready to test fit lines, we will send out an email to everyone on the list with the final pricing as well as an offer of a substantial discount for helping us to beta test the final fit of the lines. The first two to accept the project will be our beta fit testers. Everyone else on the list at that time will receive a 15% discount off the tubes if they purchase upon completion of beta fit testing.

Thanks in advance for your help. We really appreciate all the builders who work with us on these projects.

For those who are interested in how we design and fabricate the rigid tubes, go to this link and click on the rigid tubes. This is an old video which will be replaced in the next several months as we have significantly upgraded capabilities for reverse engineering, prototyping, producing and verifying tube accuracy.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/howwemake.html

Have a great week and happy building

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks to everyone that has emailed us about this project. We have a great group of beta testers lined up.

Here is a sneak peak of the first few of the initial pre production prototype tubes.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM

I spent a couple of days at Steve's shop last week to work on a few things as well as this project. He has spent considerable time and resources to prototype these tubes. Similar to what we did on the RV14 tubes. The investment of the time and resources will make a better product for all of you RV12IS builders. AND save you quite a bit of work. There are a couple of longer tubes in this fuselage that we havent done yet--thinking of several options for it. One of the things we are thinking about is shipping a long, precisely bent tube in a pretty big box. That in itself is expensive!

As we move forward, we'll have more information.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 PM

We are looking for 2 more beta testers who have ordered the RV12iS Powerplant kit and will be ready to install the F12127 E, F, G, H and J lines once they have received it.

We have the data for the tubes and they match the templates, but we want to do an actual aircraft test fit verification before we release them to other builders.

Please send me an email to aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for your help
Steve

Old 10-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Van's has finally begun shipping Engine kits and we have now been able to do fit verification tests on our CNC bent Rigid Tube kit for the RV-12iS.

AS Flightlines has decided to offer the F12127E, F, G, H, J, and K lines. They will come pre bent and pre flared. The cost of the kit is $324.95, and we will be happy to buy back the unused AN Nuts and Sleeves from customers for $25 that won't be needed if you purchase this package.

In addition, we will offer the F12127B and F12127C lines for those customers that have not yet completed the bottom skin installation in Section 21. These tubes need to be slid through the bulkhead into place and then flared by the customer due to going through a grommet. The only way to offer these lines pre bent is to install them at this point in the build. These tubes will add $75 to the cost of the above package.

Below are some pictures of the pre bent tubes as well as what they look like once installed.

If you would like to see the design/fabrication process of these tubes, more information can be located at http://aircraftspecialty.com/howwemake.html under the "Rigid Tube" Section.

Have fun building!!!

Steve and Tom

Last edited by Aircraft Specialty : 10-21-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM

That's the plumbing for the fuel-injected 12? Am I looking at that right - its behind the rear baggage bulkhead? I think I'll stick with my Bing 64's...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 10-21-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
That's the plumbing for the fuel-injected 12? Am I looking at that right - its behind the rear baggage bulkhead? I think I'll stick with my Bing 64's...
Jim,

That's correct! It's quite an interesting setup. But it was fun to prototype and CNC bend all those little tubes.

We will wait and see if people start to order the "new" rv-12 with the ULS engine. If so, we will start to work on rigid tubes for that setup also.

Steve

Old 10-21-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Yes it is.....

I can't help but smile when thinking back to all of the comments from when people were questioning why "Van's" was resisting doing the engineering and modifications to revise the RV-12 to use the new Rotax 912iS engine.

The common refrain was "how hard could it be?" "It should be done already!"

Writing the story to answer that question would read like a short novel.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Scott----are the fuel pumps going to be made available before the engine kit ships? With the delay in getting the engines, if the pumps were available during the fuselage build, it would save a considerable amount of time for the builders.
Those that are doing their own plumbing will need the pumps and filters to test fit their bent tubes, and tweek and bends.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Maybe I shouldn't be asking but...

How do you access all this fuel plumbing behind the rear baggage bulkhead once the airplane is final assembled and put into service?

Also, It looks like several short rubber hoses in/out of the high pressure fuel pumps - what is lifespan of rubber? 5 year replacement again?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks

Last edited by Piper J3 : 10-22-2018 at 08:40 AM.