VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Default IFR RV-12

My aircraft is mostly complete except for the avionics & power plant.
The aircraft will be completed to the E-LSA specs but certified E-AB. The reason for doing this is I later plan to make some small instrumentation changes for IFR. I'm not doing this to fly hard IFR but I will fly IFR in weather that I could fly VFR. For X-country I like IFR but that would be a problem for certified E-LSA. I've flown an RV-12 and in light IFR I would feel as comfortable in it as any other aircraft.
Has anyone done this?
Has anyone installed a VOR antenna?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 AM

This topic has been discussed/debated several times before. Search the forum for previous threads. As to the VOR antenna, yes I have seen it done.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2018.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:24 AM

If you're doing the EAB just for updating to IFR later (as in after the pink slip), you can still do that as an ELSA, as long as you do the updates after the pink slip.

That's what I plan to do.

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
The aircraft will be completed to the E-LSA specs but certified E-AB. The reason for doing this is I later plan to make some small instrumentation changes for IFR. I'm not doing this to fly hard IFR but I will fly IFR in weather that I could fly VFR. For X-country I like IFR but that would be a problem for certified E-LSA. I've flown an RV-12 and in light IFR I would feel as comfortable in it as any other aircraft.
Has anyone done this?
How do you file for Light IFR?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM

I installed a Garmin SL30 in my previous 12 and mounted the VOR antenna on the bottom fiberglass tailcone and routed the wire through a snap bushing and forward through the fuselage. In that 12 I had the Dynon D180 system and used it's internal VOR/GS indicator and it worked very well. I did fly quite a few hours with foggles using that set up. My personal opinion is that the 12 is not a good IFR platform. It's too light, thus a bit too twitchy for ILS approaches. It would also need a heated pitot mast. The 12 is a great airplane, but is not designed or intended as an IFR platform. Just my opinion fellows.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Has anyone done this?
I do not believe your statement regarding e-lsa is true. Once certified as an e-lsa (certificate in hand); you could change out to a certified GPS/nav....up date transponder... You could legally fly ifr....like you said, say a marginal approach at destination (would be nice to shoot a GPS approach).
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 12-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
How do you file for Light IFR?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Tony,

I've been vfr in the San Jose area (Reed Hillview airport) where I would have given anything to call approach control and request a GPS approach.....it was legally vfr, but not to my liking.

Light ifr.....is very subjective, would not on purpose punch into weather, but as noted above...to let down through a cloud base. I guess I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 PM

We have an SL30 with the VOR aerial mounted on the fin top rib. The fin tip is held on with #6 countersunk screws into anchor (plate) nuts.

The aerial base is mounted with screws into anchor nuts onto a simple top hat bracket rivetted to the top rib. Slots in the fin tip allow the aerial to pass out through the tip.

The aerial lead passes down through the fin leading edge rib lightening holes and forward through the fuselage. There is a BNC connector under the leading edge fin attachment bracket access panel to aid fin removal.

Works fine. Note, we are in the UK rules so our mod rules are different.

Loving Rotax....
Old 12-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Has anyone done this?
Here is a photo of my VOR antenna location:

[IMG][/IMG]

Regards,
Tom
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 PM

I put mine in the same location, on top of the vertical fin.