Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 01:13 PM

Without looking at mine I think that I did not have an AN365 in that place. If I remember correctly (and that is a BIG caveat), mine had metal locknuts called out which are much smaller than the AN365 or plastic insert locknuts in general.
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
Old 10-31-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhill916 View Post
gents, thanks for the advice. I finally ended up taking the sticks out and attaching the pushrods, then unthreading the pushrod from the bearing and re-installed everything in place.

I now have a new problem: with the stick full back and full roll (either direction) the pushrod rubs against the AN365 lock nut on the forward control blocks. Has any one else had this problem? I'm waiting for some half-height nuts (AN364, IIRC) to see if that permits free travel, but I'd like to find out why they are rubbing in the first place.

Thanks again for any insights!
-dbh
Having a bit of trouble with the picture but, if it's the bolt I'm thinking of, I had that problem and had to flip it around and put the nut on the other side as Bob suggested earlier.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 10-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
Having a bit of trouble with the picture but, if it's the bolt I'm thinking of, I had that problem and had to flip it around and put the nut on the other side as Bob suggested earlier.
That would put the nut on the bottom of the belly of the airplane.
I am pretty sure MacPara has it correct.
The fastener in question is supposed to be a screw (head on the outside of the belly skin), with the small MS all steel nut (much smaller than the AN365 nut shown in the photo)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
That would put the nut on the bottom of the belly of the airplane.
I am pretty sure MacPara has it correct.
The fastener in question is supposed to be a screw (head on the outside of the belly skin), with the small MS all steel nut (much smaller than the AN365 nut shown in the photo)
Ahhh, yeah, you're right - that's the top of the systems block under there ...
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul mosher View Post
Are the flight control devices and the stops in place? The throw will be reduced with flight controls installed.
The throw is not reduced with the flapperons in place. The throw is limited by the flapperon mixer.

At page 31-13 you can see the hardware to be used. It calls for an AN365-832. From what I remember I installed very small all metal locknuts. The hardware in the picture looks too big.

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 10-31-2014, 07:31 PM

I have the same issue. I think the flap handle is to far forward. I am continuing with the build because I don't think this is a problem. I think it will not be an issue once the flaperon control is completed.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM
paul mosher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagarin737 View Post
The throw is not reduced with the flapperons in place. The throw is limited by the flapperon mixer.

At page 31-13 you can see the hardware to be used. It calls for an AN365-832. From what I remember I installed very small all metal locknuts. The hardware in the picture looks too big.
Oh, sorry! The point I was making is that the throws are going to be different when the DEVICES are connected. I think the mixer is considered a device.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrhsch View Post
I have the same issue. I think the flap handle is to far forward. I am continuing with the build because I don't think this is a problem. I think it will not be an issue once the flaperon control is completed.
I know of instances where builders have installed the the flap handle with the UHMW bearing blocks positioned / oriented incorrectly and it does cause the flap handle geometry to be incorrect and induce some strange issues.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Flap pushrod

Have seen this when the flap handle to mixer pushrod are too long. If you haven't drilled the flap torque tubes, I'd try screwing the pushrod in further.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2014, 08:25 AM

Don't be changing lengths of ANYTHING on the RV-12. Recheck the plans. Follow the plans. Make the control rods the exact lengths that the plans say. Use the exact parts and hardware the plans say. Mantra: If something does not fit, STOP! The likelihood is that the problem does NOT lie with the kit!

And check the RV12 forum thoroughly using search. Check the blogs for that kit section like Schmetterling Aviation and Marty Santic's and Tony Tessitore's picture set.