Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 02:55 PM

I love my washer wrenches; I have the Avery set - now sold by Cleaveland Tools - itís a great purchase. The problem is that on the HS, itís a real pain to do unless you have other folks to help hold ends of the HS. Also, itís pretty cramped to reach straight in for the outboard washers. By gluing them in place, itís a much easier installation and really not much effort. And with them glued in place, Iíve installed the HS by myself.

While bearing grease is great for holding washers in place while stacking parts, it wonít hold very well with a tight fit that will place shear forces on the washer. I prefer to glue the things in place solidly. In reality, these washers are spacers for this application with no relative motion to the bearing faces that they are tightened against, and will likely outlast the airframe.

Itís a pretty simple task to just put some washers on a bolt for alignment in place, then use a toothpick to put a little glue - choose your favorite (epoxy, super spray, super glue, whatever) and just dab it around the edges of the washer being careful not to get it on the washer face or contacting the bolt.

Then when the glue is set, you can just pull the bolt out and your washers are ready for install.

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, Flying
Old 12-20-2017, 04:08 PM

The tips already provided by others regarding using either table top or two saw horses to support the stab at close to the correct height and then adjust as needed are valuable.
If a table is being used, you can use a stack of the aviation magazines that you probably have sitting around as spacers to adjust the height.

You can even use the nose wheel tire pressure for very fine adjustments in tail height.

I have removed/replace the stabilitor on numerous RV-12's numerous times entirely solo. It is not that big of a deal.

BTW, the reason washers are in that difficult to install them place is to provide opportunity for some dimensional adjustment because of tolerance variation, etc. If the normal washers don't work, they can be sanded down thinner of make some from material of a different thickness.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 12-20-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 AM

I came to that point of installing the stabilator, and had tried the super glue method, which didn't hold. Came up with two loops of dental floss, the one at the top attached to a rubber band which was taped to the stabilator, pulling the washer up, and one at the bottom to pull down and position the washer where it was needed. After trying various other things, this worked well, about 45 minutes to get the whole thing done.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 PM

SuperGlue works fine if you rough up the surfaces with some Scotchbrite and clean them with rubbing alcohol or acetone before applying the glue.
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2018
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM

When doing stab reinstalls (thanks to the recent stab SBs), I ended up just making a throwaway washer tool out of scrap thin plastic.

CFI/CFII/MEI
LSRM-A

chris@flygcaa.com
Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM

I did mine solo for the SB and used a table and the cleveland tool once you have it aligned its not a tough job