Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 PM

FWIW. Acklands Grainger also stocks and sell taper pin reamers.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Default hardware

I've installed taper pins in the tailspring of my RV7. Reading the EXCELLENT post by Vince earlier in this thread, he calls out "AN365-832 or
AN320-832 nuts" for these pins. I ordered those and they seem too small. -1032 nuts seem to fit correctly. Sound correct?

Also, confirming, the "cupped" washer has the larger opening facing away from the nut, correct? Flat washer not needed in addition, unless for thread spacing?

Torque should be about the same as the respective AN3 and AN4 bolts we are replacing?

Thanks!
2017 VAF SUPPORTER
Old 11-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
I've installed taper pins in the tailspring of my RV7. Reading the EXCELLENT post by Vince earlier in this thread, he calls out "AN365-832 or
AN320-832 nuts" for these pins. I ordered those and they seem too small. -1032 nuts seem to fit correctly. Sound correct?

Also, confirming, the "cupped" washer has the larger opening facing away from the nut, correct? Flat washer not needed in addition, unless for thread spacing?

Torque should be about the same as the respective AN3 and AN4 bolts we are replacing?

Thanks!
Sean, Don't use the full torque. All you need is enough to hold the pin securely. It's only a shear connection. Some people have mentioned that they tap the pins in to seat them and gently tighten the nuts, and this is what I'll do.

Also, the cupped washer is to clear the pin on that end. The narrow end of the pin pokes out of the hole just a bit (try to minimize that) and the cup washer allows for that.

Dave
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Sean, Don't use the full torque. All you need is enough to hold the pin securely. It's only a shear connection. Some people have mentioned that they tap the pins in to seat them and gently tighten the nuts, and this is what I'll do.

Also, the cupped washer is to clear the pin on that end. The narrow end of the pin pokes out of the hole just a bit (try to minimize that) and the cup washer allows for that.

Dave
There is a specification for that nut and its less than half of the standard. If you do the wedge calculations for the pin contact stress vs axial load, you will find it is very high. It is an incredible leverage.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18