Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
Van's appears to have located the cat whisker antenna in the same location on their RV-12iST. Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific antenna and/or pictures of how they mounted it?

I know some builders locate these antennas at the base of the rudder but in my experience they are a pain in the butt down there as you're tying the plane down and so on. I need to make some quick decisions here as I start into my VS.
I would use a RAMI AV-525 and mount it on the top of the vertical stabilizer. We have them in stock AFS P/N: 73132

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Iíve had vor/loc/ils on both of the 12ís Iíve built and mounted both of the antennas on the bottom of the tail cone fairing under the stabilator. Works fine and you donít even notice it there. Skunkworks mounted his in the baggage area on the channel that runs from the roll bar to the tailcone. Works fine there too. If you are still building and have access to the top of the vertical stabilizer, I think itís still best to have it up high. I used the same antenna Rob recommended.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 AM

I drilled out the rivets on the vertical stab fairing and installed #6 nutplates and machine screws in their place. That allowed me to mount my cat whiskers antenna on the top vertical stab rib. A moto-tool cut two small half moons in the fairing for antenna clearance and then reinstalled the fairing.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I drilled out the rivets on the vertical stab fairing and installed #6 nutplates and machine screws in their place. That allowed me to mount my cat whiskers antenna on the top vertical stab rib. A moto-tool cut two small half moons in the fairing for antenna clearance and then reinstalled the fairing.
Thanks. That looks like exactly what Van's did with their RV-12iST too. I'd just like to know if I need to drill some holes in my VS ribs for a snap bushing path for the cable which is what I'll likely do.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004