Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-24-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Dynon Setup

OK,

Set the first one up OK, but the second one is being a PITA.

Using the current system of downloading some stuff from Vans and some from Dynon. First airplane just used the Vans download files.

I now have an AOA box asking for calibration - and it won't find the trim servo to enable me to calibrate it. The line in hardware calibration is grayed out.

Any help gratefully received.

Donated in 2018
Old 10-24-2018, 06:41 PM

The Dynon AOA calibration (at least the one I did) was an in-flight process. It had me do a series of +/- 5 degree attitudes followed by one or more stalls to calibrate. Nothing to do with any trim servos - those I calibrated on the ground.

Maybe you have a different system - mine is a SkyView HDX with the Dynon heated pitot/aoa probe. I think that the AOA calibration was on the in-flight setup menu, not on the hardware calibration page.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018
Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 PM

One thing you are saying is AOA (Angle of Attack). The other thing sounds like you are talking about the AP Panel with trim circuitry. Which one is it? Give me a call & Iíll see if I can help.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Once again, VAF to the rescue !

Emailed Jesse who came back with solution and all now fixed.

Another case of suds I will gladly supply

Shame that between Vans and Dynon, they can't come up with a more cohesive instruction package. I had two portable devices open last night going between vans and Dynon to get the install/update/configure sequence and still missed a couple of things.

Maybe it was the fact I am Mac, not Wind*ws that caused some issues.

Donated in 2018
Old 10-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post

Shame that between Vans and Dynon, they can't come up with a more cohesive instruction package. I had two portable devices open last night going between vans and Dynon to get the install/update/configure sequence and still missed a couple of things.

Maybe it was the fact I am Mac, not Wind*ws that caused some issues.
The Skyview read-me file available on THIS page of Van's web site is pretty comprehensive and should have had everything you needed to get through the set-up process.

Your comment leaves me a bit confuse, since you said set-up of the first airplane went well, but the second one didn't. Was one G3X and the other Skyview?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM

Hi Scott

The first one was done a few months ago when there was a single point source for the files from the Vans website.

The set up for that one was relatively straightforward - the issue with this one was dodging between the Vans site and the Dynon site to get files, that's all.

I must have installed the AoA by mistake and the AP-Panel file as well which was confusing the hardware configuration screen.

If you are used to it, as Jesse obviously is, it is straightforward but this isn't my strong area, so clearer procedures would help.

Also, I am English, so have to interpret American

All sorted, seems fine now - moving on to the test phase soon.

While you are there..... Why is there an exclamation point to the left of the clock ?

Donated in 2018
Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Hi Scott

(edited for brevity)...

While you are there..... Why is there an exclamation point to the left of the clock ?
IIRC, that is to alert you that you need to do the annual back up battery test.
RV-12 #0760
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2019
Old 10-30-2018, 10:40 AM

Ahaaaaaaaaa !

Donated in 2018