What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Wire Route to Rudder

Phil

Well Known Member
I have a friend who is selling his RV-4 and the new owner would like a position/strobe light on the tail. He?s not physically able to do the work and asked me to assist him with getting one installed for the new owner.

When I built my -10, Vans recommended a specific pass through location where you could get the wires out of the tail cone and into the rudder.

I don?t have access to the -4 plans and before I punch my own hole, I would like to know if there is a similarly recommended pass-through location at the back of the tailcone on the -4.

Thanks,
Phil

ok, ive stopped laughing now.... there is no guidance at all on the 4 plans for anything electrical for the most part. they are very basic plans next to the latest computer drawn plans they now use.

I routed mine down the side of the tunnel through the formers and then out the middle of the tail post just below the bottom hinge bracket. then routed the wire through the fiberglass bottom cap.

if I get to the airport in the morning I will take a couple of pictures of how i routed it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Great, thanks.

I didn?t expect there to be any guidance on it, but it?s always better to make sure before you do something dumb. Now is the time to find out it doesn?t exist; rather than after the fact.

Phil

Back