- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom @ N269CP View Post
My preferred pattern with the RV-8 w/ O-360 and CS prop typically goes like this:

1. On downwind at TPA, about 12.5" MP will slow it down to about 95 mph abeam the numbers
2. Lower flaps to 50%
3. Perform GUMPS check...select best tank, mixture full rich, prop full fine, boost pump on
4. Trim to stabilize airspeed at 90 mph IAS
5. Adjust throttle to set prop speed between 2,300-2,400 rpm. (CS prop @ full fine may need higher RPM than FP prop for comparable descent rate.)
6. With the runway threshold about 30-45 degree off my shoulder start turn to base.
7. Adjust angle of base leg to compensate for winds
8. Small adjustments to throttle (rpm) may be necessary on base so that you roll out on final at 400 ft AGL. This typically provides for a conservatively high and steep descent (my preference).
9. Adjust throttle to maintain stable glide slope. Apply x-wind corrections to maintain centerline alignment.
10. Chop power over the threshold, round out to about 6"-12" off the runway, add a bit power if needed to control sink, focus on far end of runway, and manage energy to touch down main wheels first with minimal descent speed. Apply small amount of forward stick once the main wheels touchdown to keep it on the runway.
11. Be vigilant and ready with the rudder pedals to keep the plane aligned with the centerline
12. Let tail come down on its own...do not hold tailwheel off the ground
13. Full back on the stick once the tailwheel touches the pavement
14. Apply brakes as necessary

YMMV, but this is what works best for me.
That's a pretty though run down there Tom, pretty good, the only thing I would do diff is NOT touch the fuel tank selector, just check there is sufficient fuel in the current tank to engine and land. Bad time in the circuit to find out a fuel supply problem form the current non used tank-
Old 09-05-2018, 11:11 PM

Finally flew N188LC today after spending 10 hours with Mike Seager.. Zero issues to report other than it took me 3 tries to get a sqeaker wheel landing.. Even with 40 pounds of weight in the aft baggage area, the elevator pressure was considerably higher than the RV-7 I flew with Mike. Mine is a 180hp, FP setup, and Mike's is 160hp and CS.. the difference in acceleration on takeoff, and deceleration into the approach was large enough that I'm considering a CS prop as my next mod to the airplane. I really enjoyed the fine control of the CS vs the FP, although once I got into the groove (85 mph IAS) of the approach it wasn't any different.

Taxi back to the hangar was fun with the big RV grin on my face..
Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
That's a pretty though run down there Tom, pretty good, the only thing I would do diff is NOT touch the fuel tank selector, just check there is sufficient fuel in the current tank to engine and land. Bad time in the circuit to find out a fuel supply problem form the current non used tank-
Thank you, Capt. I agree with your comment.

I typically don't let my fuel draw down below 1/3 full in either tank, and always top them off at the next opportunity after every 2 hours of flight. At 55% power and 182 mph TAS with one PMag, it comfortably burns 6.8-7.0 gph providing plenty of range and speed for my needs. There's just no need to run the tanks lower. And if there is a need, I'll adjust my flight plan to eliminate that need.

Tom
Machinery Engineer
==================================
RV-8 N269CP
O-360-A1A w/Hartzell CS prop on 100LL
Slick-IC+PMag ignitions
Steam gauges, EI UBG-16 & FP-5, Garmin Aera 660
TruTrak autopilot (GPS coupled)
Infinity grip w/Matronics trim speed control
Reiff engine preheater
AntiSplat oil mist separator
MH O2 system