- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Tire Modeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
. . . . . . . . I'm not trying to tell you lower pressures won't work. I am telling you tire pressure is an engineered value, not a random pick. . . . . . .
I absolutely agree with this statement. Of course the engineered value is a function of the design criteria.

Do you happen to know how the tire deflection vs load at a given tire pressure is being calculated? I'd be interested in how that is being modeled in the spreadsheet. Or you could just send me the spreadsheet . . . . .
First Flight July 26th, 2014
370 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:02 AM

I've never seen so much written about just tyre pressures! In near 40 yrs of driving planes (little ones) I've always run around 35 psi, it's not rocket science, tires are a flexible medium, very resilient and designed to take punishment, the only main variable effected by under or over inflation is the amount of wear. I consider tires a consumable item, I keep my RV8 at 35 psi but am not too concerned if it's 10 psi either side.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Flats

I've had two flats on roll out on my 6A in about 500 hours of flying. Both times it was on the left main, and I found a pin hole in the outer sidewall area of the tube.

The landings were no big deal, but getting the plane off the runway is a problem if you don't have some good help. Both times it had been a few months since pressure was checked and the tire was probably in the 30 lb area.

When I land at my home airport (Baton Rouge), I always request 4R/22L if available because the idea of shutting down one of the main runways due to a flat worries me. John
Old 10-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell13 View Post
I've had two flats on roll out on my 6A in about 500 hours of flying. Both times it was on the left main, and I found a pin hole in the outer sidewall area of the tube.

The landings were no big deal, but getting the plane off the runway is a problem if you don't have some good help. Both times it had been a few months since pressure was checked and the tire was probably in the 30 lb area.

When I land at my home airport (Baton Rouge), I always request 4R/22L if available because the idea of shutting down one of the main runways due to a flat worries me. John
Make sure you use ample talc powder when servicing your tubes and tires. I cover the entire tube and inner walls of the tire. Talc sticks to any exposed rubber easily. Once I have a light dusting, any unreasonable excess is removed.
There have been many reports of tube sidewall pin holes. Not sure what the cause but it doesn't seem to be tire pressure related based on the reports I have read here.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:49 AM

My data point.

I was running 35 all around and tires were wearing well. Landed one day and the taxi back felt very odd. The front tire was flat; hole in the sidewalls of the tube and the tire (Michelin) was eaten up inside from sidewall flexing.

I now run 40-45.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Default -7 Whittman gear moves all over...

I have been running 50 psi in Good Year Flight Special II tires for a bit. These have been great tires so far. Wheel landing with them at these pressures works best when carrying enough speed in the flare to keep the tail up. If the tail is dropping in the flare there can be more rebound than desired if you don't catch the transition on the money. Three point landings need to be very close to stall to limit bounce back.

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

flying with more than 1,935 on the hobbs
Race 771
margarita!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Talc

Jon jay, Iíve got a friend of mine who worked for Michelin tires for decades. He came round as i was changing a tire last week and saw me using a bit of talc. His expert opinion was that only the faintest bit of talc was needed because any more than that and with any moisture it clumps up into tiny balls that will rub pin holes in the inner tube. This may answer your question.

Seems plausible.
FLYING!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hitchen View Post
Jon jay, I’ve got a friend of mine who worked for Michelin tires for decades. He came round as i was changing a tire last week and saw me using a bit of talc. His expert opinion was that only the faintest bit of talc was needed because any more than that and with any moisture it clumps up into tiny balls that will rub pin holes in the inner tube. This may answer your question.

Seems plausible.
Interesting. I have never found any moisture or clumps, nor any pinholes.
I don’t leave excess talc, just enough dusting to where the rubber dulls. The talc sticks to the raw rubber in a fine coat.
At this point, I think I will keep doing what I have been doing and as I was taught by my dear departed AP/AI. I have had good luck in both tire and tube wear, but I am certainly no expert, just one dumb guy who only knows what he was taught, wrong or right.
Thanks for the input though.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM

46 years of using talc on many hundreds aircraft tires. I have never seen any adverse effects even though I did not use it sparingly!