What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel training around New York?

SJordan

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a good place to get a tailwheel enforcement around the New York area?

Thanks
Shawn.

Depends where in NY
Great barrington mass isn?t that far from areas in New York and they are awesome people and great school.

They have tailwheel training at Andover Aeroflex (NJ). I have heard nothing but great things about Damien and their training program.

I flew with Damian a few years ago and must be the one dissenting opinion. I did about 7 hours (one hour per trip out there) of training with him and never even got to wheel landings. Not sure I could tell you what the problem was but I am pretty sure I flew the plane the entire time I was in it. I found it very difficult to feel like I was learning anything from him when I couldn't get a lesson each weekend or twice a weekend. He would schedule me every 2-3 weeks and then we would have a weather day mixed in there from time to time. I believe I "trained" with him for 7 months and never did a single wheel landing. 7 months is almost as long as it took me to get my PPL! I found the whole process to be a tremendous waste of time. I DID like flying the Cub though so at least I got to log 7 hours in a J3.

I ended up going to Florida for a week of vacation and got my TW endorsement AND my transition training all in about a day and a half with Jan Bussell (sp?). Then I drove north to see my family for the rest of the week. I am now the happy owner of a beautiful RV-7 and have somewhere around 400 hours in it.

Andy! when we going flying? My plane is down for FI swap.

D

Ha, I didn't see this. Sorry. Yes, the weather is good now on weekends for a change. How's the plane living up to your expectations? I imagine very well!

We certainly should get some airtime in since we are so close. I just have way too many hobbies to plan ahead most of the time. What's the best way to get you on short notice?

Feel free to hit me on via cell. Will shoot you am IM with my details. The plane (when flying) has been a dream! I just finished up a FADEC to FI swap so I have been out of commission for 2 months. but I should have it flying this weekend (fingers crossed). Need to replace a mag.

D

Back