Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcthree View Post
David, what in the great googly-moogly is a chocky frog? Iím leaping to a Harry Potter reference?
You've never heard of the delightfully delectable morsel that is the Freddo Frog?!?

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Servo returned

I received my servo back from Dynon. I appears to be a new unit, labeled as my returned SN. It operates much smoother than the prevous unit before the locking incedent. The only explanation offered was "installation induced failure" in the repair report. I don't plan on pressing them for more info.
RV-8 tail kit received with a 5 year plan
2011-2018 VAF contributor
Dog is my copilot, rest in peace 2015APR28. I miss that dog.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I received my servo back from Dynon. I appears to be a new unit, labeled as my returned SN. It operates much smoother than the prevous unit before the locking incedent. The only explanation offered was "installation induced failure" in the repair report. I don't plan on pressing them for more info.
If I had received that message from Dynon, I would be absolutely DYING to know how I might have damaged the servo during installation!
Especially before I install the new one...........
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2018 Donation Plus, Gladly Sent
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Moved and seconded...

As someone who just installed an SV-42 roll servo in second-hand, never-flown condition from the Classifieds, I'd be all ears as to how you can screw up the installation and lock the controls

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
As someone who just installed an SV-42 roll servo in second-hand, never-flown condition from the Classifieds, I'd be all ears as to how you can screw up the installation and lock the controls
A big "Plus 1" as well.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The only explanation offered was "installation induced failure" in the repair report.
That kind of note is unhelpful at best, and at worst potentially dangerous. Big thumbs down to Dynon for obscuring the cause of failure.

If it was installation induced, how? As a Skyview owner, this is concerning.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
That kind of note is unhelpful at best, and at worst potentially dangerous. Big thumbs down to Dynon for obscuring the cause of failure.

If it was installation induced, how? As a Skyview owner, this is concerning.
Perhaps we should consider this from Dynonís side of the table. Just imagine all the calls they get, the problems they run down to wiring done wrong, configuration not done, etc. I do know they track failures to identify trends - this is how they came out for the replacement RV-10 pitch servo (and replaced all in service units free of charge). Same goes for the AOA heated pitot tube replacement and now the replacement ADS-B receiver that is starting to roll out.

Iím not saying the builder is at fault. Iím saying that perhaps Dynon prioritizes root cause analysis for those failures they see as a trend. As with any company, I would hope they manage resources to get the most out of every dollar spent.

I know of no other vendor that surpasses Dynon for after the sale service.

Carl
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM

As was noted in post #4, internal corrosion as a potential cause was noted by the Dynon tech I talked to during the troubleshooting process. My post #5 details the reality of my hanger situation, with high relative humidity being common, either to water leakage from the roof or groundwater through the concrete. The servo sure acted like the victim of a corrosion condition.

IRL, I have to periodically make safety related calls. I get it the arguments from both sides. Iíd like to KNOW, but what would I do different? Dynon has been exceeding my professional expectations in every interaction Iíve had with them, and as Carl noted, they have a track record of making timely adjustments when appropriate.

I must consider the risk of my elevator servo experiencing the same issue. I will monitor. I will evaluate the failure mode and risk tolerance. Really, I think Iíve already decided to replace it at the next condition inspection downtime. Thatís my current decision, subject to change. YMMV.
RV-8 tail kit received with a 5 year plan
2011-2018 VAF contributor
Dog is my copilot, rest in peace 2015APR28. I miss that dog.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 AM

Mine took 9 years in Qld near the coast, think Florida or Louisiana and condensation is the only issue likely to do it.

The weekend before it was parked in a wet boggy grass parking area.....lotta moisture around, so that may have done it.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Perhaps we should consider this from Dynonís side of the table. Just imagine all the calls they get, the problems they run down to wiring done wrong, configuration not done, etc. I do know they track failures to identify trends - this is how they came out for the replacement RV-10 pitch servo (and replaced all in service units free of charge). Same goes for the AOA heated pitot tube replacement and now the replacement ADS-B receiver that is starting to roll out.
None of those failures LOCKED the flight controls.