What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor creepers

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm sure I'm not the only short pilot on this forum. For working under my RV I find the standard mechanic's creeper puts me too far from the under side of the aircraft. I thought about purchasing an adjustable creeper but after seeing the price tag I gave that up (for the amount of time I would need it).
I purchased a new creeper as my old one is getting run down and I got looking at it then realized that I could mount the frame upside down. Now the bed is up higher than the castors rather than hanging down inside the castors. The holes in the frame have square holes to keep the head of the bolt from turning and by putting the frame upside down you have to hold the head with vise grips but so what. Been using this set up for quite a while and makes working under the engine or fuselage much easier. I can even see what I'm doing now.
Good luck

?The Bone?

Ron,

I have “The Bone” and it seems to work good for me. It has big wheels so it doesn’t get stuck on pebbles or cords, it just rolls over them with its big wheels.

Here is another creeper that looks like it is the “Cadillac” of creepers for airplanes with a price to match :eek:

https://www.aerocreeper.com/product-page/aero-creeper

But, it sure does look like it would work great!

Dolly creeper

Go to Harbor Fright and buy two movers dollies. Bolt the old creeper frame to them. Much higher and roll over anything.

I'm sure I'm not the only short pilot on this forum. For working under my RV I find the standard mechanic's creeper puts me too far from the under side of the aircraft. I thought about purchasing an adjustable creeper but after seeing the price tag I gave that up (for the amount of time I would need it).
I purchased a new creeper as my old one is getting run down and I got looking at it then realized that I could mount the frame upside down. Now the bed is up higher than the castors rather than hanging down inside the castors. The holes in the frame have square holes to keep the head of the bolt from turning and by putting the frame upside down you have to hold the head with vise grips but so what. Been using this set up for quite a while and makes working under the engine or fuselage much easier. I can even see what I'm doing now.
Good luck
You got pics of this setup?

:cool:

Ron---I'm short----or vertically deficient as one of my former friends used to call me. So with a standard creeper , I'd need to raise it a foot to be comfortable. WE did this one time working on Lee's rocket. Yep--tipping over. Wasnt the fall that hurt, it was the sudden stop. Dennis' idea was a little HYD jack so it could be adjustable. Just haven gotten around to doing one yet. The aerocreeper looks neat.

Tom

Comfort

Get a furniture dolly with good wheels. Then head to the junk yard and get a comfortable reclining drivers seat out of a car and attach it to the dolly. Someone had a setup like this in the hangar when I was building and it got used a lot!

Andy

You got pics of this setup?

:cool:

I took two photo but do not have the ability to post here. In the past I would e-mail someone the photos and they would post them here for the viewers. Anyone interested in helping out , please send me a pm with your e-mail address and I well send them out for posting.
Thanks Ron

Hey Guys! Heads up on using a creeper under an RV. If you have a belly mounted antennae put a tennis ball or a water bottle on the antennae before getting under the airplane. I was scooting along and had the end of the antenna go under my glasses and slide between my eyeball and eye lid.
There was no permanent damage and I did not even have to go to the hospital but I was sure, at the time, that I had lost my eye. I have spoken with another owner who had a similar accident.

Gurney

I picked up a used ambulance gurney from the local emt guys. Can't remember what it cost but I'm pretty tight so must have been reasonable. Might be one in your area too.
Dave

Get a furniture dolly with good wheels. Then head to the junk yard and get a comfortable reclining drivers seat out of a car and attach it to the dolly. Someone had a setup like this in the hangar when I was building and it got used a lot!

Andy

Ohhh aaaah that is a great idea! A big improvement over my old tractor seat on a furniture dolly.

Hey Guys! Heads up on using a creeper under an RV. If you have a belly mounted antennae put a tennis ball or a water bottle on the antennae before getting under the airplane. I was scooting along and had the end of the antenna go under my glasses and slide between my eyeball and eye lid.
There was no permanent damage and I did not even have to go to the hospital but I was sure, at the time, that I had lost my eye. I have spoken with another owner who had a similar accident.

+1 Tom always gives good advise and this is GOOD advise!

PM

I took two photo but do not have the ability to post here. In the past I would e-mail someone the photos and they would post them here for the viewers. Anyone interested in helping out , please send me a pm with your e-mail address and I well send them out for posting.
Thanks Ron

Ron,
PM sent...

Pictures

I'll see if I can post one later today.

Ron%27s%20phone%20374-XL.jpg

Ron%27s%20phone%20376-X2.jpg

DVT

Awesome Ivan! Tomorrows project for me.👍

Larry,
I see that you are located at the Deer Valley Airport (KDVT). I know the place quite well as I flew in there a number of times in the Nineties. I used to attend Model Airplane competitions at the Sun Valley flyers club field just off Cave Creek Rd. NE of DVT.

Back