What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Lycoming engines

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning,
I'm filling out the form to order my finish kit and had a question about the engines that Van's offers. They offer an O360 for 27K and I am curious, with a price like that does it include the hardware to connect it all? Or is it just the engine. I ask because low time used engines can be found significantly cheaper and I am torn.

Thanks for the help
Brandon

By hardware are you referring to the engine isolator-mount bolts? those are 4-500.00 vans sells a FWF kit also. I was going to buy new but decided to go a different rout, you can find deals on used engines on Barnstormers and on here every now and then, I looked for a good three years before I found a great deal!

Vans Sun 'n Fun deal

Brandon,
If you can afford to wait, try holding out until April. Vans usually has some pretty sweet Sun 'n Fun deals for their Lycoming engines, and engine/prop combo packages. In 2012 I ordered their YIO-360M1B package with the Sensenich FP cruise prop. Saved about $7K by ordering the YIO non-certified engine (ie, same factory-new engine minus the $7K piece of paper saying "Certified"). The engine came pre-bagged/pickled for long-term storage, and was shipped free. Engine had the starter and magnetos installed. The fuel pump and ignition wires, the alternator, and fuel injection servo came in the box ready to install. I think I saved around $8K or $9K if memory serves (getting old sucks).

I forgot the mags.

Here, looked it up. From the Vans website:

These engines are equipped with the lightweight starters, 149 tooth ring gears, dual magnetos, carburetors (or fuel injection systems) and engine driven fuel pumps. All of the engines listed below come with roller tappet lifters and camshafts as standard equipment. They have provisions (drive pads) for vacuum pumps and prop governors, but these, along with alternators and exhaust systems must be supplied and installed by the builder.

Not to mention baffles, seals or plenum, air filter, airbox or snorkle, motor mount rubber and bolts, fuel hoses, contactors, ground strap, oil cooler, oil hoses, oil temperature and pressure senders, sniffle valve, EGT and CHT senders.....

Last edited:
Back in 2003 I purchased the 0-360 and Hartzell prop from Vans. I was able to arrange pickup for both and got tours of the factories. Van's engines are set up so that all the items purchased from them will fit properly without having to do a lot of guessing and scavenging for stuff that fits. The engines have all the accessories like the filters, carbs, starters, ring gears, and mags. Things like linkages, motor mounts, lord mounts, and fuel lines can be purchased separately or in the Firewall Forward packages Van's sells. Buying the engine and FWF packages from Van's makes it easy as all the items will fit properly and everything is included.

Roberta:)

Back