VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Tailwheel training around New York?

Does anyone know of a good place to get a tailwheel enforcement around the New York area?

Thanks
Shawn.
2018 dues paid.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:01 PM

I think they have a tail dragger at Andover NJ.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
I think they have a tail dragger at Andover NJ.
Yes can recommend Damian his place is called Andover Flight Academy itís at Aeroflex airport.

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Depends where in NY
Great barrington mass isnít that far from areas in New York and they are awesome people and great school.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 AM

They have tailwheel training at Andover Aeroflex (NJ). I have heard nothing but great things about Damien and their training program.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM

I flew with Damian a few years ago and must be the one dissenting opinion. I did about 7 hours (one hour per trip out there) of training with him and never even got to wheel landings. Not sure I could tell you what the problem was but I am pretty sure I flew the plane the entire time I was in it. I found it very difficult to feel like I was learning anything from him when I couldn't get a lesson each weekend or twice a weekend. He would schedule me every 2-3 weeks and then we would have a weather day mixed in there from time to time. I believe I "trained" with him for 7 months and never did a single wheel landing. 7 months is almost as long as it took me to get my PPL! I found the whole process to be a tremendous waste of time. I DID like flying the Cub though so at least I got to log 7 hours in a J3.

I ended up going to Florida for a week of vacation and got my TW endorsement AND my transition training all in about a day and a half with Jan Bussell (sp?). Then I drove north to see my family for the rest of the week. I am now the happy owner of a beautiful RV-7 and have somewhere around 400 hours in it.