What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowering oil pressure on adjustable release

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm trying to lower my oil pressure by about 5 psi with the adjustable pressure relief valve above the #3 cylinder.

I understand that at least one full turn counterclockwise of the castellated/pinned nut on the pressure release valve is needed for every 4-5 psi reduction. However, I can only rotate mine about 180 degrees counterclockwise before it "tops out"/is fully screwed out. It came this way originally from Aerosport, leaving little room for adjustment in the lower pressure direction.

Is there anything I can do with the valve in order to decrease the oil pressure further? Washers somewhere or different springs?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
yes

Yes, there are different springs available to increase or decrease the oil pressure. A call to Lycoming Tech support should be able to get you the correct part numbers.

I would make sure the pressure is reading accurately with a direct pressure gauge prior to making any changes.

You could also take it apart and make sure that there aren't washers in there already that you could remove.

Be careful when taking it off that you don't loose the little ball bearing.

Vic

Last edited:
Thanks Vic on the info. about the springs. I'll check with Aerosport and/or Lycoming.

Just last year I switched from a VDO sender to the Kavlico, and they both read more or less equally. (At that time I had been hoping my slightly higher than desired pressure was a sensor issue.) That said, checking with another gauge anyway probably isn't a bad idea before I change anything in the relief mechanism.

Again, thanks.

Back