What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Hinge Service Bulletin SB 16-03-28

KeithB

Well Known Member
This is a cautionary post for RV-14 builders completing the wing kit and incorporating Service Bulletin 16-03-28 for aileron hinge brackets. It might also apply to the RV-10 as the hinges and SB kit are the same.

When the service bulletin came out for the aileron hinge brackets, I had largely completed the wings, but had not riveted on the bottom skins (to allow for avionics decisions such as auto pilot servo, magnetometer, etc. to be incorporated later). With the bottom skins still open, I felt it was an opportunity to incorporate the revised aileron hinges with limited difficulty (compared to after the wings are closed up), and opted to order and install the retrofit kit.

I drilled out the spar rivets to remove the old hinge, disassembled the hinge to recover the bearing, reassembled the new hinge and riveted it to the spar per the provided instructions. However, when I went to install the aileron back on the wing, the inboard edge of the aileron now contacted the heads of the AN470AD4 rivets used to join the two halves of the new hinge bracket. In retrospect, of course the new hinge is thicker with the addition of a pair of .125 angles. This increased thickness comes out of the distance between the base of the hinge brackets, and out of the clearance between the leading edge of the aileron and the base of the hinge bracket.

I talked to mothership tech support and the fixes proposed were 1) file/bend the aileron skin to clear the rivet heads, 2) swap or substitute washers and/or spacers on the hinge bolts to move the aileron outboard or 3) drill out AN470 rivets in favor of AN426 ones where the heads interfered. After a limited amount of filing, I abandoned 1) as insufficient and unsatisfactory. 2) turned out to be inadequate by itself. So, for 3) I drilled out the two bottom-most AN470AD4 rivets of the 5 joining the hinge bracket halves, then countersunk the angle and replaced with AN426AD4-11 rivets (yes, they are that long). The upper 3 rivets were okay. In addition, on one aileron, I also needed to reposition washers and modify the spacer to better center the aileron between the two hinge brackets. It ends up a tighter fit than before the hinge bracket replacement, but it works.

I would recommend all 5 AN470AD4 rivets be replaced with AN426AD4 rivets when joining the halves of the new inboard aileron hinge brackets. Some adjustment of spacer/washers may still be required.

I apologize for the quality of the photos.

119c8ly.jpg

2dwdmr.jpg

sb7s0o.jpg

Thanks for the update, I too opted to implement the SB now (bottom skins off), except I only completed the left side so far and have not finished the ailerons. Those new brackets are definitely stout!!

Great observation, I noticed the same issue and thought I would just file my way out of trouble.
The 426-11 will hopefully be described in an amendment to the service bulletin.
Thanks for chasing this up. 👍

QB Wings

Just put the Left Aileron on and I have contact by the skin on the 470 rivet heads. I think I may be able to file the skin to relieve the contact per 1) above. Really don't want to drill out those -11's!

Last edited:
I went for it and replaced the bottom three 470-4 rivets. Due to the length of the rivets it was difficult to drill them out cleanly. There's not enough clearance to use a drill. The 90 degree drill attachment did the trick.

One other thing about that bulletin. You find with the new bracket in place (if you followed the directions and already had the 470 rivets) that you need to either change to 426 rivets, or shave off a few hundredths off the top of the 470s. Still one thing that I saw is that because of the spacing that the bellcrank to aileron push rod was starting to rub on the new bracket when in the max down position. Here's a poor picture of what I mean:

ouD.png

With a combo of shaving the tops of the rivets and removing any excess skin from the edge of the aileron I was able to move the aileron about .065 inboard resulting in a little space between the aileron bracket and push rod.

Just got my instructions and parts. I'm doing a new build. Before I go through the mental gymnastics of how to do this with a new build has any one done so?

SB 16-03-28 in the nick of time

Phew?.. I am at the step to rivet all the stiffeners and hinges to the aft spar and something caught my eye and I downloaded the SB 16-03-28 and ordered the kit.

But in studying it and reading the threads (and being thankful I caught it now while I am still in assembly) I am not sure about the end result.

When I read it for the third time it sure looks to me like the W-1013B-L has disappeared and the 4-20-2018 photo from killjoy seems to confirm it. I know that the bearing is pressed in but the nice counterbores on the W1013C-L and W1103B-L seemed to be pretty good retainers. Are the hinge bolt spacers and washers now doing that retaining?

When I ordered the kit I tried to plumb a BOM and couldn?t find one. Can I estimate that to be
W-1013F/G L&R 1 piece to be cut per Fig 12
W-1013D-L
W-1013E-L
W-1013D-R
W-1013E-R

Back