What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

autopilot install

merlin3

Well Known Member
I am installing mgl autopilot servos in my rv4. I have looked threw all the threads on autopilot install but cannot find one simple thing. Is there somewhere I can order the clamp that people use for the roll servo that clamps onto the push tube in between pilot and passenger stick? I used the dynon install kit for the pitch servo and that worked perfect but looking for best way to install/attach roll servo. thanks.

Or just fabricate a control horn:

20110420_0176.JPG

Vlittle i think i saw that picture but wasnt sure how it worked as it didnt seem like it would rotate properly. I was really looking for the roll tube clamp as that seems the easiest way.

I am installing mgl autopilot servos in my rv4. I have looked threw all the threads on autopilot install but cannot find one simple thing. Is there somewhere I can order the clamp that people use for the roll servo that clamps onto the push tube in between pilot and passenger stick? I used the dynon install kit for the pitch servo and that worked perfect but looking for best way to install/attach roll servo. thanks.

I ran into the same problem a few months back with my roll servo and just cut a tab out of 4130 and tig welded it on the bottom of the control tube betweeen the seats. Works great but a pain for sure. A nice clamp on tab would be great but sourcing it got tough. Good luck.

that is the mounting bracket but does not include the attachment to the control tube. I ended up making something similar to vlittle so we will see how this works out.

I have that mount but it still doesn't help because they don't give you that clamp with the mount. that was the problem.

I think tru trac includes it with their purchase. I thought I read somewhere that someone tried to buy it from them and they wanted like $200 because they don't like selling it seperate or something. Was hoping there was another source for it.

I think tru trac includes it with their purchase. I thought I read somewhere that someone tried to buy it from them and they wanted like $200 because they don't like selling it seperate or something. Was hoping there was another source for it.

This is correct. I called them and they wanted $200+ if I could not prove I had there servo. The Dynon -6 bracket works great except you don?t get a clamp.

clamp for roll servo

I used the clamp that Trutrak provides. If I were in your shoes, I would get some 4130 sheet that is the same thickness as their clamp and make your own clamp.
Have someone or yourself weld the ear on that attaches to the servo. I think the ear is a little bit thicker steel. The weld is a simple tig weld.
Mark Wyss

Last edited:
I did something very similar to what Vern did. This puts the servo in the bay forward of the main spar. Having the servo there makes it much easier to maintain and repair. Over the years, 12, I have had to replace my roll servo three times. The heavier roll forces of the EVO wing may have had an influence on that issue. The "tab" does not have to be on the bottom of the tube, mine is on the top. The point is to measure the distance from the tube to the hole in the supplied bracket and then make sure that your tab is the same distance away, be it on the top or the bottom of the tube. Check that the range of movement is such that you never get into a position where you can go "over centre" . This check should be done however you mount any of your servos.

I've got a Navaid servo mounted forward of the spar & the link attaches just behind the pilot stick on top of the walking beam. I copied someone else's installation when I did mine. Happy to email you some pics; I no l no longer waste time linking them here.

Charlie

Back