What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transitioning to a tailwheel RV14

kdedmunds

In anticipation of transitioning to a tailwheel RV. It has been recommended that a Citabria would be a good plane to fly. Yes I know that the transition training can be done in a tailwheel RV and that many do that, but we also have two sons that are interested in learning. We have located a Citabria in the Dallas/Forth Worth Area and need to have a-rebuy inspection. Does anyone know of someone who could do that for us?

Kent Edmunds
850-251-4714

Check with Jay at RV Central, phone number on your left.

Jay has been known to fool with tube and fabric airplanes ;)

The first plane that I flew was a J-3 many years ago before moving on to trikes and then a hiatus from flying. The last 4 years were in a Citabria until flying my own -8 a few months ago. I chose the Citabria because I knew that I would eventually be in a -8. I transitioned in a -6 for about 2 hours and then 2 hours in an 8 with an instructor in the rear before flying my own. Don't count on the Citabria being your transition training to the -14, but it would be a great plane to get some great TW time under your belt.

Last edited:
They are very different tailwheel airplanes but the Citabria makes a great trainer fro the future. The RV is much more forgiving.

Back