What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail.

This is the back of a current generation Hartzell PG.
The process for converting the ratio between wide deck and narrow deck involves moving the plug between hole A and hole B,
and then adjusting the clocking and Max RPM.

This is the back of a current generation Hartzell PG.
The process for converting the ratio between wide deck and narrow deck involves moving the plug between hole A and hole B,
and then adjusting the clocking and Max RPM.

Neat. Where'd you get the info on converting the Hartzell from wide to narrow deck configuration? I'd like to look in to this some more.

According to Kevin Ryan, Hartzell tech support ([email protected]), the following is the case:
- The max rpm of the S-1-26 is 2570 rpm.
- The correct governor for the IO-540-D4A5 narrow deck with max rpm 2700 is actually the Hartzell S-1-79.
- Kevin told me that Van's actually does sell this part number...

According to Van's, the Hartzell Governor they sell as "Part Number = PROP GOV HZ IO-390" is Hartzell S-1-79.

Finally, Kevin confirmed that the low RPM limit on the S-1-79 is around 1700 rpm. Below this rpm the governor won't drive the prop to coarse pitch. This has been mentioned as a drawback in this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=141732&highlight=governor

Australian Air Props

Just a shout out and thanks to Eric at

Australian Air Props in Bankstown NSW.
PH: 02 9790 5295

Eric was great at dealing with MT Germany and getting the required parts for the SB31.

Very knowledgeable chap with a lot of experience in Governors.

Anyway, I received my gov back on Tuesday ,refitted and I am back flying again.

It was great getting this good service at home and not having to send the governor overseas.

Thanks Eric

The cited specs are for the given model number.

Kevin, the same guy you spoke with, is also the same guy who told me that they can be reconfigured to different specs. He is the one who told me about changing which hole the plug is in. That was confirmed to me by Ottosen's propellor who are an authorized Hartzell repair shop and distributor.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it make total sense. You want to design and build core elements as universal as possible with allowances for modifications as necessary.
If you don't have a PG, it makes sense to buy what you need out of the box, but that doesn't mean that you can't convert what you need from what you already have.

As an extreme example, some unique part number codes merely differentiate the color of the paint.

According to my insurance adjuster, there has been a new prop governor failure recently. They just became aware of it today.

Back