What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Thanks John,

Keep posting a bunch of tailcone pictures and comments on picasa. I received both the tailcone and fuselage kit a day ago. Finished the wings about 3 months ago. Will watch all of your pictures and comments. Better yet, start a blog on blogspot.com

It is very easy.

Thanks for the pics. Keep them coming. My tail kit shipps Monday. I appriceate the ability to look over your shoulder.

Thanks for the pictures. My tail kit should be here in a couple of weeks. A couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

1. How did you cut the blue vinyl away from the aluminum so you could leave the most of it on to protect the surface?

2. Are you just priming just the mating surfaces, and not the rest of the inside surfaces? Your thoughts on priming?

Keep the pics coming!

John

RVators,

I had an openday to show the locals the RV12 kit. They are amazed at the quality and ease of assembly.
wing_33.jpg

Then the next day I finished skinning the Left Wing. It is such a piece of beauty one would be tempted to keep it just as is :p
wing_34.jpg

Regards
Rudi

Fuselage Video ... 100 hours

I've finally started section 22 of the fuselage kit ...

If interested, I've posted a little video of my fuselage progress after 100 hours of build time. I know, I'm not the fastest builder in the world ...

Click here for video ... (audio is meant for non-builders ... ) ;)

Polish?

Jerry,
Thanks for the video.
I've noticed in pictures and video of the -12 kit (both yours and others) that the metal seems highly polished. Does anybody know what gives? It seems much more shiney than the metal on the other kits?? Or am I just crazy?

Jerry,

Very nice video! That really helps to get an idea of the fuselage construction for those of us not there yet. A question - the interior surfaces don't appear to have primer on them. Are you going to leave them that way, or prime? Which primer did you use on the step legs?

John

Prime Time

Big John ...

I used Tempo Aviation Zinc Oxide Primer (12 oz. aerosol can). I only primed a few parts in the wing kit and just a few parts on the fuselage kit so far. I've decided not to prime the entire interior. After the aircraft is built and professionally painted, I will apply "some sort of a mist" to the interior of the wings and fuselage and empannage. A friend, who has built an RV-9A & an RV-7A, recommended this method to me. I don't have all the information, yet.

Wing kit 100% done

Hi Rvators,

Well the whole wingkit is now DONE, I finished the flaperons over the weekend. Total Time: 113 hours on the wings + 12 non core miscellaneous hours like unpacking/inventory/sorting/racking and storage etc = 125H

Here is a picture of the completed Flaperons:
flaperon_15.jpg

My Fuse and Tail kit is suppose to arrive here in South Africa in 2 weeks time. I can't wait, and going to tackle to Fuselage next.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Fuse and Tail Arrive!

I got the phone call on Thurdsday afternoon: ?Pick up your crates tomorrow?. It was almost 2 months on the water, but now a week early, and too quick for me to organize a truck or trailor in one afternoon. So my little 1400cc pickup had to do the job. The crates fitted between the wheel arches with less than 1/2" to spare, like the little pickup was designed around the crates :p The overhang looks worse than it is, it is less than 1/3, and the top shorter heavier box made sure it aint going nowhere. Thought you might be interested to see it ;) I got stopped by a traffic officer, who would not believe it is an airplane in those boxes. He fined me for speeding in a 60KM/H zone, not for overloading :mad: It felt good to finaly have the next kits in hand safe in South Africa.
fuse_01.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Rudi! I just spent a good bit of time enjoying your website and videos, well done! Good luck with the -12!

Rudi,

I'm only just looking at my wings and also have the same crates as yours on my shed floor.

I suspect it may be better to start the Emp next. Check other posts, I'm sure I read that you cannot finish the fuse until tail section completed.

Cheers,

Jim Australia.

Rudi,
<SNIP>
I suspect it may be better to start the Emp next. Check other posts, I'm sure I read that you cannot finish the fuse until tail section completed.
Cheers,
Jim Australia.

Hi Jim, yes I know, but I am holding out for a building partnership and the tail is an easy section for a partner to start with.

Anycase to the others...why are people not showing their progress here?? I am so excited and this kit goes togeterher so fast, here's my fusealage on 30 Hours. :D
fuse_23.jpg

Show us your progress, be proud!

Kind Regards
Rudi

Post my RV-12 status

Hello Rudi,
I think the answer to your question about why more RV-12ers are not posting status here is the problem of getting a quality image into the post. I have tried the free web photo hosting of a couple of providers, and the experience has been poor. I am signed up now for a trial of a pay provider and this looks like it might be much better. I enjoy photography in addition to flying and building an RV so I can make good use of the service.

Here is my first try at posting a status picture:
493308542_HExC5-M.jpg

Tony

Last edited:
Hello Rudi,
I think the answer to your question about why more RV-12ers are not posting status here is the problem of getting a quality image into the post. I have tried the free web photo hosting of a couple of providers, and the experience has been poor. I am signed up now for a trial of a pay provider and this looks like it might be much better. I enjoy photography in addition to flying and building an RV so I can make good use of the service.

Here is my first try at posting a status picture:
491219181_4VoLF-L.jpg

Tony

so tony...who did you sign up with?

Posting good pictures

I have to thank Scott Schmidt, one of VAF moderators, for the how-to in post #30 of this VAF thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=286734
He has a detail write-up and he uses SmugMug. His pictures are wonderful. SmugMug has a free trial and after that it is $39.95 per year. I am trying it and I like it and will very likely sign up once I see how everything works. So far, it looks pretty darn good!
Tony

Hi RVators,

me again, i just love building this RV12 and progress is so quick. So Far 88 hours on the fuse. I did build slightly out of sequence, i finished painting the interior and interior components loose before the side skins and structures go up, I also finished all of the fuel line routing before riveting the side structures in place. Made routing the fuel lines easy.

fuse_53.jpg

Finished with the Fuselage Kit - For Now

Just calculated the time I have spent with the 1st of the 3 kits. Here is my breakdown. Will start on the finishing kit tomorrow.

279 Hours on the Fuselage Kit (98% Complete-Still have to install the Mapbox and the Instument Panel-Need missing parts from Van's), 108 Hours on the Empennage Kit (85% Complete-Still have to install the HS and VS and the Trim System due to lack of space.), 175 Hours on the Wing Kit (100% Complete).

Not the fastest, but am very happy with the results. See my blog for the details.

Just calculated the time I have spent with the 1st of the 3 kits. Here is my breakdown. Will start on the finishing kit tomorrow.

279 Hours on the Fuselage Kit (98% Complete-Still have to install the Mapbox and the Instument Panel-Need missing parts from Van's), 108 Hours on the Empennage Kit (85% Complete-Still have to install the HS and VS and the Trim System due to lack of space.), 175 Hours on the Wing Kit (100% Complete).

Not the fastest, but am very happy with the results. See my blog for the details.

Amazing. My finish kit arrives tomm. I have spent 299 on the fuse (panel installed) 136 on the tail (complete with HS, VS and trim) and 175 on a completed wing kit. Glad to know someone else operates at my speed.

I guess I'm slooooow

163 to complete empennage. My excuse is first build, first kit, had to learn every new skill. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:eek:

Boat is Ready on 100 Hours

Me again,

my boat is ready and it took 100 hours on the fuse to get here...OK 99.75 hours to be exact according to kitlog ;)

fuse_59.jpg

I am getting tired to see my own progress pictures, where are all the guys with finishing kits, and that have painted already :confused: :rolleyes:

Looking forward seeing yours,
Regards
Rudi

Smokenjoe Thanx, see inline to yours...Rudi

Looks good!

What did you use for paint? >> 2 part Poly Urathane paint available in South Africa
Did you prime before paint? >> Yes
How did you prep the surface? >> Abrade with scothcbrite pad and clean before paint

RV-12 Progress

Hi! So far we have 122.5 hours in the tailcone and 138 hours in the wings and we are as happy as a lark. We can't wait for the fuselage kit. We are thinking of doing both the fuselage and finish kit at the same time. Anyone have any thoughts on doing that?

We are very pleased with the two kits we have; I want to thank Van's for producing such a fine product. We have not found any problems that could not be fixed using standard manufacturing techniques. I also want to thank Glen Howel from AXSYSAIR; without whose help we would be lost.

I hope to have pictures for my next posting.

Jack Richards & Jon (my son)

Thread and Post responce

Ok what I am I doing wrong? I have posted two theads and have not received any responces. Am I doing something wrong?

How do I find responces to my postings and threads.

I want to perticipate but I need help

Jack Richards (N787JR):confused::):)

Pictures please

Ok what I am I doing wrong? I have posted two theads and have not received any responces. Am I doing something wrong?

How do I find responces to my postings and threads.

I want to perticipate but I need help

Jack Richards (N787JR):confused::):)

Hi Jack,
Though I am building 12-3=9 I monitor the thread on regular basis a friend of mine is interested in buying the kit. What about a couple of pictures? If you can not post email them to me and I will try to post them my email [email protected]

Hi Jack

Don't see any problem with doing both, but you likely had better follow the instructions in basic order. I think you will find it hard to jump from one to the other. Unless you study exactly what step you are doing with the other kit, you might make yourself more work, or re-work. Don't think you would save any time, but would add confusion, and there is enough of that to start with.

John Bender

N787JR

Thanks JB for the info. I think I will order both but build them in sequence.

I hope to have pictures for my next posting. I must be lucky I haven't had any problems with either the tailcone or wing kit's. I think Vans did a great job.:):):)

Jack Richards

Fuse kit

Hopefully Fuse kit will be 'better' by the time you get it. The instructions for the early fuse kit have several issues. Yours will likely be much better now. Most of the things in the finish kit have to be put 'over' the fuse, so you pretty much need it done completely before you do the finish. Look for all the revision pages to be sure you have the latest.

John Bender

re: pics

I'm disappointed.:( I came to this "section" to see "show us your progress" and the last three pages, I think, are all talk.:D I wanted to see lots of pictures.
This post was just for fun, I really do enjoy reading it.:D

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/wiring

I'm disappointed.:( I came to this "section" to see "show us your progress" and the last three pages, I think, are all talk.:D I wanted to see lots of pictures.
This post was just for fun, I really do enjoy reading it.:D

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/wiring

Ditto, and me AGAIN! 130 hours on the fuse.
fuse_66.jpg

Regards
Rudi

re: ahhh.........

.......good job John & Rudi. That's more like it.:D:D

Now, if I only knew how to post pictures of my RV10, I'd be in buisness. I'm about as computer illiterate as they come.:)

Marshall Alexander

Last edited:
Wing Kit pick up...

I took delivery of the Wing Kit on Thursday and made the 200 mile freeway trip safely with the big spar crate on top.
514786854_9oLS4-M.jpg

That's my friend Jack, veteran sailboat racer, doing the knot work.

Now that I have something to work on again after a three weeks of waiting, I should be making progress and will post pictures.
Tony

Rudi

It is a messy, sticky job, that requires patience and following the instructions fairly closely. The canopy ends up lower than the center of the dash. You need to fill in that area, or some resin can run down on the dash. You need the dash INSTALLED. It holds the shape of the top of the dash firm. I also used foam fillers in the area above and below the foam piece that is provided and glued onto side of frame. It made the job easier. If you tape over it, the extra foam can be taken out later without trouble. I did not install the gas struts. That is one of the areas that I filled with foam to make the shape.

John Bender

Fuel Tank

http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/...action=view&current=RV-12FuelTank100_0925.jpg

Another messy, sticky, job nearly done. I don't know how you could do this job and not get stuff all over everything. Dipping 200 plus rivets into the 'goo', and then into the holes is just messy. Painting covers a lot of sin, and in this case, a LOT of sin.

I just love it when you get your sleave into some of the 'tar', then can't wipe it off, or you get it on more stuff.

I sure hope it does not leak ! ! ! ! !

John Bender

Hey Brad

Looks nice :) Going to have strips ? What brand paint ? I am thinking the Stewart Systems. Have not used it before. Just about ready to order paint.

John Bender

Back