What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Awesome

This is the best use of red/white/blue that I have seen on an aircraft. Very nice. Congrats to you on 'completion'.

Newly minted RV-12

Pics will follow, but I just had to announce that I received my Airworthiness Certificate today from Mel.

We had a gaggle of FAA folks around during Mel's inspection. Mel was getting one of his required FAA checks. The FAA guy doing Mel's check brought
3 other FAA trainees to observe. Mel told me about the FAA check but he was surprised when the trainee's showed up too.

Other than the 1 cleco that Mel found hiding in the tail feathers :eek:, there were no other squawks.

If the weather co-operates, test flights will start tomorrow.:)

First Flight RV12 Ser no. 120862

2943nl3.jpg
. We flew the first flight on October 8. We started on our first kit on July 11, 2014. It is an ELSA, N412SB, hangered at Bremerton, WA, near Seattle. Here are a couple of pics. The avionics are Skyview Touch with the optional dual screen and auto pilot modules.

i59.tinypic.com/3swi9.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you chose two colors besides the white. Can you share the dark blue color codes or paint source? FWIW I too am putting in the dual touch SV and AP controller. I like it!!!

I got to a personal milestone this weekend (first skinned wing, minus end piece) so thought I would show off a bit :D

Progress has been a bit slower than expected, not having much space certainly slows things down but it is getting there.
Having to prep and paint everything before starting assembly slows things down a lot.

My home grown paint job was originally going to be all red but I decided on a bit of colour for the tail.
I consider my paint job to be the base coat for some future professional colour (once all the bills have been paid off :D)
I decided on the cheaper option of wrap rather than paint for the tail art. If it doesn't work out I can always take it off later.
The lines could be a bit more accurate and I'm not sure how well it will work on metallic paint when in the sun but, given the cost, I'm happy with the results so far.

What amazes me about this photo is that it really shows how difficult it can be to photograph metallic colours.
Both reds are the same but look completely different shades in the picture.

The piece of kit I was most waiting for was the wings, for me it is the center piece at the heart of flight so I'm happy to have finally reached this stage.

Please excuse the watermarks but I just grabbed them off my blog rather than redo them for here.

Last edited:
While waiting for the finish kit I brought a 3D printer and got a bit carried away at first printing epic world dominating monsters (albeit a couple of inches tall and made out of orange plastic :D) but then looked at doing something for the aircraft that wasn't structural or hard for a first time CAD design.
I made a 57mm panel drilling guide, then a rivet pusher (to help push those rivets in the tighter holes) and finally a step plug (just the fronts, I have left the backs open to allow any moisture to get out).
3D part

Test fitting (one of the first ones I made that didn't fit very well)

And finally painted

*Apologies for the link in the photos, I linked them up from my blog site.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much drag will be introduced by these but I don't think there would be enough to cause issues.

For all I know I may have reduced overall drag, the drag from the larger surface area of the inside of the tube (plus the turbulence of the interruption where the tubes are welded) being removed vs the smaller surface area of the cap being directly into the wind (I doubt it would be an overall reduction in drag but it would mitigate it a bit :p)

A bullet nose would be more efficient than mine but I couldn't easily put the letters on it.

Alternatively I could remove the steps completely and carry one of these in the back for less weight and no drag :D.
0328396_m.jpg

Painted to match with the RV12 logo on it of course :D

Moving Day - Familiar Sight For Most Of Us?

I bought my 12 from original builder with 48TT. It’s an early kit SN120058. I bought the plane knowing most of the service bulletins hadn’t been completed. I flew the airplane for a full year and then brought the fuselage home this past November for upgrade and SB compliance.

So today the airplane heads back to the hanger with following upgrades/SB’s completed:

• Fuel tank attach modification
• Center section and side skin modifications
• Fuel tank slosh inspection
• Flaperon bearing bracket crack inspection
• Upper engine mount rivet replacement
• Inspect nose fork for cracks
• Inspect stabilator lateral bearing movement
• Oil tank mounting bracket addition
• Installed new U-00006D and U-00006A for front wheel fairing per SB12-08-09
• Installed new (8) stainless steel exhaust springs – Aircraft Spruce # 08-07632 GPL
• Installed Dynon D100 EFIS Dual Display
• Installed new main tires and air tubes
• (2) 500-5 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD,ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE
• (2) 500-5 AERO CLASSIC **BUTYL** INNER TUBE TR-67 (GL-5067)
• Installed new Matco WHLBRL-1 - BRAKE RELINE KIT
• Cleaned and re-greased main wheel bearings
• Installed PTT switch on copilot control stick
• Installed split baggage floor and split rear bulkhead
• Installed Moeller mechanical float fuel gage in top of fuel tank
• Installed 5-pin Molex 61-405x2 connector for elevator trim tab servo in tail cone
• Recalibrated Dynon D180/D100 EFIS fuel quantity gage
• Installed new 5 Circuit Molex 0.062" male and female connector at elevator trim servo
• Bled air copilot left master brake cylinder

I chose not to install the fuel tank vent. I will keep the vented fuel cap because I use 93E10 auto fuel and want to minimize air exchange in the tank. This will help maintain fuel octane rating when airplane sits in the hanger. 5-year rubber hose replacement will be done at next annual condition inspection.

Airplane still needs to be weighed, CG calculated, installed equipment list, POH update, and make all appropriate logbook entries before flight. Last summer at KOSH I took the Rainbow Aviation Light Sport Repairman Workshop and have now attained my LSRM-A certificate.

Life is good…

-
2e0tmog.jpg

-
2vcdb1d.jpg

-
35jwhuw.jpg

-
292y7g7.png

Last edited:
I bought my 12 from original builder with 48TT. It?s an early kit SN120058. I bought the plane knowing most of the service bulletins hadn?t been completed. I flew the airplane for a full year and then brought the fuselage home this past November for upgrade and SB compliance.

So today the airplane heads back to the hanger with following upgrades/SB?s completed:

? Fuel tank attach modification
? Center section and side skin modifications
? Fuel tank slosh inspection
? Flaperon bearing bracket crack inspection
? Upper engine mount rivet replacement
? Inspect nose fork for cracks
? Inspect stabilator lateral bearing movement
? Oil tank mounting bracket addition
? Installed new U-00006D and U-00006A for front wheel fairing per SB12-08-09
? Installed new (8) stainless steel exhaust springs ? Aircraft Spruce # 08-07632 GPL
? Installed Dynon D100 EFIS Dual Display
? Installed new main tires and air tubes
? (2) 500-5 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD,ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE
? (2) 500-5 AERO CLASSIC **BUTYL** INNER TUBE TR-67 (GL-5067)
? Installed new Matco WHLBRL-1 - BRAKE RELINE KIT
? Cleaned and re-greased main wheel bearings
? Installed PTT switch on copilot control stick
? Installed split baggage floor and split rear bulkhead
? Installed Moeller mechanical float fuel gage in top of fuel tank
? Installed 5-pin Molex 61-405x2 connector for elevator trim tab servo in tail cone
? Recalibrated Dynon D180/D100 EFIS fuel quantity gage
? Installed new 5 Circuit Molex 0.062" male and female connector at elevator trim servo
? Bled air copilot left master brake cylinder

I chose not to install the fuel tank vent. I will keep the vented fuel cap because I use 93E10 auto fuel and want to minimize air exchange in the tank. This will help maintain fuel octane rating when airplane sits in the hanger. 5-year rubber hose replacement will be done at next annual condition inspection.

Airplane still needs to be weighed, CG calculated, installed equipment list, POH update, and make all appropriate logbook entries before flight. Last summer at KOSH I took the Rainbow Aviation Light Sport Repairman Workshop and have now attained my LSRM-A certificate.

Life is good?

-
2e0tmog.jpg

-
2vcdb1d.jpg

-
35jwhuw.jpg

thats great.. good luck

Looking for RV-12 or RV-10 builders near Phoenix

I have been thinking long and hard about starting on an RV-12 build. Anybody near the PHX area (I live near the SE suburbs) building an RV-12 or even an RV-10. Let me know if I can lend a hand in any way or may be even just to take a sneak peak. Basically looking to get inspired and make sure I can take on this adventure on my own in my garage (with some help from y'all).

First Status Update

Well don't know if I can officially call it a status but I ordered the empennage and fastener kit last weekend and received my builder number and also reserved my N number with the FAA. PROGRESS!! Cant wait to get the kit in to get started!!

I've created a builder log site through Weebly and will post as soon as I have some quality updates to add!

See yall soon

I have been thinking long and hard about starting on an RV-12 build. Anybody near the PHX area (I live near the SE suburbs) building an RV-12 or even an RV-10. Let me know if I can lend a hand in any way or may be even just to take a sneak peak. Basically looking to get inspired and make sure I can take on this adventure on my own in my garage (with some help from y'all).

Sent you a private message...

my finished Rv12 hope you like it

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

4 years in the making
Ivo prop constant speed
all else very much original

Last edited:
It?s an airplane

Today, my RV12 passed its airworthiness inspection; it was so easy that it was almost anti-climatic to the 711 hours I spent crafting the little bird. So, now it?s on to flying.

Finally Finished ?

Well I know better than to say my plane is finished with out adding a ? . This is my second build. My first was a 7A. There was always something to do.

Just picked up my 12 at Lancaster Aero LLC. in Smoketown Pa. They did a fantastic job. I am tickled GREEN. :D

2bzeiq.jpg

do2vqt.jpg

Looks right at home in my hangar
287hg92.jpg

Canopy Lock

I installed a canopy latch with security lock from Aircraft Specialty. Steve was very helpful and I highly recommend this upgrade.

Right side
zwMFjKel.jpg

From the front with the security screw (note the head sheared off). Also note the lock out pin to prevent inadvertently pressing the lock.
jhS9qlRl.jpg

Left side
esl8GrLl.jpg

This little airplane is wonderful and I'm racking the hours up having fun with it.

Juliet-Kilo Gets Colors

After a 4 year build and nearly 3 years of flying it around ?naked?, Juliet-Kilo finally has colors. The scheme is an homage to my wife Kathy and her fanatical love for all things Seattle Seahawks! Wife Happy. . . Me Happy :D
15eiwk2.jpg

ztdu6t.jpg

2d6jh1v.jpg

RV12 paint scheme: Seahawks

Tell her 12 for 12th man ( 12 used for fans @ home field ). Nice paint-yes, but some one did a AAA rated job on that concrete.

1tnlchokk
14848730-19-B7-41-DF-971-D-F84-E132-FF27-E.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

Trying to post some photos of my 6 yo RV12
Looks like it worked. Now to refine specific photos, size, and text placement.

Last edited:
Progress

Spending quite a bit of time in the shop with the current situation.
Was great to be able to open the garage door while working on it the other day. Looking forward to more days like that!
Hoping to be able to sit it in soon... :D

Looks good, Bobby! Is that primer or the final paint for the baggage floors, seat pans, center section, etc.?

Thanks Mark. That's just white Stewart EkoPrime. I'm planning on wrapping the exterior, haven't decided what to do with the interior, other than probably vinyl-wrap the IP in carbon fiber.

FYI - I just found out today that F-12113 (21iS/U-20, Step 7) is missing from both my kit and my packing list. Hope to hear back from Nancy tomorrow. Curious if you or anyone else had the same issue? Is that piece part of a sub-kit that I'm missing entirely?

P.S. I swore after my -10 empennage that I would never prime again and yet here I am. :rolleyes: This time I swear I will never prime again. I don't mind the spraying and I love the way it looks, but I absolutely despise the prep work. :(

Last edited:
FYI - I just found out today that F-12113 (21iS/U-20, Step 7) is missing from both my kit and my packing list. Hope to hear back from Nancy tomorrow. Curious if you or anyone else had the same issue? Is that piece part of a sub-kit that I'm missing entirely? :(

Hi Bobby,

I don't see F-12113 on my packing list, and from what I can tell, I never received it. Let us know what Nancy says. Perhaps it's hidden in one of the brown bags.

Hi Bobby,

I don't see F-12113 on my packing list, and from what I can tell, I never received it. Let us know what Nancy says. Perhaps it's hidden in one of the brown bags.

More careful reading of step 6 reveals the mystery... That part is for ULS only. :eek:

Thank you. Yes, it's Flightline... black UltraLeather with black suede inserts and orange accents. I'm very pleased how it came out and Abby was great to work with.

Back