What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What the heck are these overlays?

Brantel

Well Known Member
What the heck are these Red and Blue overlays on the APRS.FI map?

2clhy8.jpg

Arent they just the way the colored tags are rendered when you zoom out? If you zoom in you see the detail. I guess this view shows the concentration.

Brian, that is the "traffic density or volume" for that area. It gives you a quick glimpse of where the most activity is happening and also reveals where the Igates and digipeaters are few and far between. Also, sending you a PM. Greg

Is there any way to turn this feature off if you are wanting to zoom out to see a large area of the US?

I created a filter to only look for aircraft but it is not very useful since if you zoom out, these blocks take over the map.

election results?

Isn't that the map of th last election results by party:D

(pretty irreverent and OT, I know, but since I didn't actually express a preference for either party, maybe the moderators will let it ride for a laugh?)

Is there any way to turn this feature off if you are wanting to zoom out to see a large area of the US?.

This is the APRS map, i suspect it is relevant to 99.4% of users. it may be easier to use the standard Google map or similar for non APRS views.

That pic is an example only to show the blocks.

The filter works. I just want to stop these blocks from showing up when I zoom out.

Example:

I have a filter applied to only show airplanes which works great at this zoom level but only shows a limited amount of the country:

287g50p.jpg

24wvk0o.jpg

If I zoom out one more notch, all the targets go away and are replaced by these blocks that might matter to someone, but not me:

149s4s6.jpg

Is there someway to prevent the aprs.fi server from rendering these blocks on the map?

In other words, I want to see the entire USA or a big part of it on the aprs.fi page with only my airplane filter applied so all I see is the airplanes that are active within my time frame selected. It works great for the zoomed in areas, but because of these red and blue blocks taking over the screen, it does not work when zoomed out very far.

Last edited:
I'll try again. On the right side of your screen is a 'Show Last' block. In your screen capture you have it set on 24 hours. To the right of that block is one that says 'Show All'. Deselect that, and the squares will not appear when you zoom out.

Tony

I'll try again. On the right side of your screen is a 'Show Last' block. In your screen capture you have it set on 24 hours. To the right of that block is one that says 'Show All'. Deselect that, and the squares will not appear when you zoom out.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the help...but...that block is not selected on my screen capture.

w0jrqu.jpg

I double checked to be sure. That does not do it.

Last edited:
Straight from the source on Google Groups:

"On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Brian Chesteen wrote:

> How to stop the "Most active areas" blocks from taking over the screen?
>
> Example:
>
> I have a filter applied to only show airplanes which works great at this zoom level
> but only shows a limited amount of the country:

Currently there's no way to block that.

They are there to prevent zooming out from killing (1) your browser, (2)
my servers.

Even though filtering helps against (1), it doesn't help much with (2) as
the server has to figure out which stations and path line points to pass
on to your browser, out of all those stations within the country, again
and again every few seconds as the map is updated in real time.

As hardware advances, and with some software optimisation, it might be
possible to make it allow zooming a bit more out, but not much.

* *- Hessu "

Sam,

Just the plain aprs.fi site loaded with no call signs or anything filtering the data. Zoom out, they typically appear on mine at the 50 mile scale (lower left corner).

Last edited:
overlays

Just a guess on my part but, like Sam i don't get the blocks when zooming out . maybe if you put a valid call sign in the field it will help just a guess

overlays

You don't have to wait for your call any valid call you can use sams or mine if you want then zoom out my call is Ki6piy-10

Gary

You guys are misunderstanding what I am wanting to do (which the guy that runs aprs.fi confirmed is not possible) and for that I am sorry that I have poorly communicated my question.

If you put a call sign in the "track callsign" field all you get back is the tracks for that callsign. That is not what I was trying to do.

I wanted to look at the entire USA and see all aircraft being tracked real time. The filter tool allows for part of it and it works good. The part that does not work is the fact that when you are tracking all filtered calls (aircraft) and not just one, you get these blocks when you zoom out.

Sorry to have wasted bandwidth with this question because according to Heikki Hannikainen it is not possible given the limitations of the aprs.fi hardware and programming.

Back