What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 fuel caps

hohocc

Well Known Member
I understand from Vans catalog that the 14 fuel caps are lighter than the standard caps. Would any 14 builders out there be so kind as to put a cap and its flange on the scales to get a number on the weight?
Thanks!

I weighed a single locking deluxe fuel cap. It weighed 168.5 grams, cap and flange together. That's 5.9 oz.

Dave

These new caps are great. They insert and latch so easily that I didn't think they'd seal very well. Boy was I wrong. Pressure tests on both tanks showed not even the slightest bit of a leak.

This is a vast improvement over the other stock caps.

Just to complete the picture if anybody else is curious my scales say a standard RV cap weighs 155g or 5.5 ounces.

I don't suppose the RV-14 caps are drop-in replacements for the stock ones on earlier RV's...?

According to vans they will fit all Rvs bar the 12 but the hole in the skin will need to be enlarged slightly. They will not fit the standard cap flange so are not a drop in replacement as such, more for new tanks and fitted during construction.
I'm likely to get a couple for my 6 project.

I've installed one of them so far on my 7. Had to enlarge the big hole as stated, but the rivet holes fall out right in the middle of the flange. Edge distance looks small at first but it's not a problem; loads are minimal on the flange.

Opening the hole for the larger flange was aided by drawing up the hole pattern and new hole size on the computer, and printing it to full scale. I cut the hole out of the paper, clecoed the paper to the tank, and used it to shape the hole. If anyone's interested I can make that template available.

Last edited:
I don't suppose the RV-14 caps are drop-in replacements for the stock ones on earlier RV's...?

I just put a set in my rv-8 tanks. Was easy to adapt. Just cleco in the new flange, draw around it, take a sanding drum in the angle grinder and open up the hole to the line, fit and you're good to go.

If anyone is looking for drop in replacements for the other RV models....we stock Andair locking caps which are extremely high quality and will proseal right into the standard Vans flange. It's a very easy and quick installation that gives a very high quality locking cap assembly.

In addition, for those who want engraved caps...we are able to engrave and ship them quickly.

Regarding the RV-14 caps.....am I correct in understanding that they are using the "plastic" caps now instead of the metal "deluxe caps" that Newton makes? We have engraved a lot of the plastic caps as well as the metal newton ones. I have to say that the quality on the metal newton caps is really nice. They are a very smooth operating cap. The plastic ones have always felt a little bit cheap to me. In addition, they are very porous, which means that they can stain a lot easier. We discovered this through color fill after engraving.

Back