What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some questions about the Whirlwind HRT props

N546RV

Well Known Member
OK, so I'm going CS, leaning towards Whirlwind, and very interested in the 74HRT prop. Engine-wise, I'm leaning towards a Titan IO-370 with 9.6:1 pistons. This should put me pretty close to 200hp when it's all said and done...but the 74HRT specifies "200+hp." If anything, I'll be riding right on that fence. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with that minimum HP specification.

On a related note, I've run across a few posts implying that Whirlwind has been working on a similar HRT propr for lower-HP applications - has anyone heard any more about that? If that existed, it would put this entire concern of mine to bed...

Best to give them a call or talk to them at OSH next week. They have been great with customer service for me.

I would give them a call on the 200HP question. I have a 74HRT on my IO 390 (210HP) and so far like it a lot. I have not had another prop on my engine before so can't compare performance but the prop looks to be well made and is beautifully finished. Only downside is the relatively short tear down inspection called for at 650 hours. Hopefully they will extend that after some history and what they do or do not find on those first props to come back at 650.

same setup

I have that exact setup on my RV7. The Titan data plate says 200HP but i was there when it was on their dyno and it was making 208HP. Based on that I went with the 74HRT. It's a beautiful prop. I'm still in phase 1 and don't have anything to compare it with. My test pilot and mentor has commented more than once about how much power it has. I think the word he used was "snort!"

Back