What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window inside flashing

dave4754

Well Known Member
I am about to install the rear window and note Vans calls for making an aluminum strip inside the window for screws to go thru securing the window in.

Where do you get the aluminum? Is there another way? Has anyone used screws only?

I am assuming you are doing a tip up? I used just screws with nylock nuts and washers. Screws were tapered head, I think #8. Once shaped, position the aft window and clamp in place. Drill the holes through the pre-punched holes and through the plexi using a plexi bit. Clecoe as you go to keep the window in place. Remove the aft window so you can dimple the skin and counter sink the plexi holes. Enlarge the holes in the plexi to allow for some expansion and contraction and any strain. Apply a thin bead of sealant along the screw line inside the cockpit. Let it set up so as not to smear it all over the plexi. Then install the window using the screws, washers and nylock nuts. Use only enough force to close any gaps. Don't torque down on the plexi or you may crack it.

It worked great for me.

Roberta:)

Thanks Robert

I had heard of that and thought it a good plan, especially as I would like to get it flying this year. I might devise a decorative flashing later perhaps?

Glad that worked for you and will try same I think.

Dave

Back