What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In the market for a 6, soon

gwav8or

So, I should be in the market for a 6 in the very near future. I've bought and sold one certified airplane in the past but have never bought an experimental. What things should I be aware of in regards to purchasing an experimental? I will definitely do a prebuy by an experienced RV mechanic/AP/IA. I hope to find one close to home (Ok/Tx/Ks/Ar). What questions should I ask? Anything specific to the 6s that I should avoid?

What I hope to find is:

RV-6 - taildragger not tricycle
180HP Lycoming, mid time or lower
Prefer CS Prop
Prefer Slider Canopy (not 100% on this)
Paint - Decent condition, doesn't need to be perfect
Interior - Decent condition
IFR certified or certifiable

Would be nice:
IFR WAAS GPS
AutoPilot
Dual Comms

I'm not 100% set in stone on any of the above, I just know I want a 6 that is in good condition.

Appreciate any input.

Pull down all the service bulletins from the Vans website and ensure they have all been complied with.

As you already noted, someone with RV-6 experience for the pre-buy is key. Be sure they pull up the tunnel covers and check all the pushrods for contact with the airframe. Mainly the forward elevator tube where it passes through the rear spar bulkhead.

If you looking for RV six advice, don?t be afraid of getting behind a 0-320 powered RV 6 !
Back in the 90s Dick would fly his 6 all over North America Flt planing 150-155 kts with a fixed pitch propeller burning 7.5-8 gal/hr !
I copied that mad man when I build mine. :)

If you looking for RV six advice, don?t be afraid of getting behind a 0-320 powered RV 6 !
Back in the 90s Dick would fly his 6 all over North America Flt planing 150-155 kts with a fixed pitch propeller burning 7.5-8 gal/hr !
I copied that mad man when I build mine. :)

+1

My IO-320 with Catto prop does an honest 160 knots on 8.1 GPH at 8000. You don't lose much with a 320 and it expands your options when looking.

Larry

Anybody in the DFW or SE Oklahoma area that would be willing to take me up in a 6? I?ll pay for gas and lunch.

Anybody in the DFW or SE Oklahoma area that would be willing to take me up in a 6? I?ll pay for gas and lunch.

I'm currently in Phase 1, so I can't take you up. But if you are in the area, you are welcome to come sit it mine and play around with it. We can also discuss details and differences you may find in various generations. I'm located at T31 (Aerocountry). 6A Slider.

I'm currently in Phase 1, so I can't take you up. But if you are in the area, you are welcome to come sit it mine and play around with it. We can also discuss details and differences you may find in various generations. I'm located at T31 (Aerocountry). 6A Slider.

Thanks Wings, I may take you up on that offer. I'll actually be driving through McKinney on Saturday.

Back