What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

?? confused ?? Page 12-02 Tail Fairing

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
On page 12-02 it calls to install nutplates with flush rivets for the tail fairing. I don't see a possible way to dimple the aft most nutplate rivet holes let alone rivet them, there is only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of room in there, the tools/bucking bar/etc won't fit. Can anyone recall how they did this? Thanks for any guidance!

Last edited:
you can always countersink the rivets. If the skin is too thin for standard rivets use the 1097 small headed rivets. I use these all over the place for platenuts, easier, and faster then dimpling platelets.

I used a vise-grip dimple tool as I recall. I have some "nutplate" rivets I use in tight spots like that - this is a good example of where I use them.

They are cherry 3/32 rivets (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/CCC32cherryRivets.php) and work just fine for holding nutplates.

There is also a pop-rivet dimple tool that uses a nail to pull dimple dies together. I've used it a handful of times, but not all that impressed.

Last edited:
Back