What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bearing failure

pa38112

Well Known Member
About 3 weeks before my condition inspection I started hearing a rumble that told me I might have a main bearing going bad. I decided to remove the wheels and inspect them prior to the condition inspection to know how many bearings to order. Sure enough, I found an ever-so-slight water mark on the left outboard bearing. I re-packed all of the bearings and reassembled, planning on replacing the bearing during the condition inspection. I had 7 landings total between then and the condition inspection. I was amazed at how bad the brand new grease looked in that bearing after only 7 landings. The grease in the other bearings all looked new. See photo:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipM9XVXmXNzUL0az9gJ63-z6zz8OsFhAZknoeGpM

About 3 weeks before my condition inspection I started hearing a rumble that told me I might have a main bearing going bad. I decided to remove the wheels and inspect them prior to the condition inspection to know how many bearings to order. Sure enough, I found an ever-so-slight water mark on the left outboard bearing. I re-packed all of the bearings and reassembled, planning on replacing the bearing during the condition inspection. I had 7 landings total between then and the condition inspection. I was amazed at how bad the brand new grease looked in that bearing after only 7 landings. The grease in the other bearings all looked new. See photo:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipM9XVXmXNzUL0az9gJ63-z6zz8OsFhAZknoeGpM

....You could send in your wheels to us when you do your annual to
have us do the bearing mod, true and balance. At that point you will
never need to repack, replace or concern yourself with wheel bearings
again. Thanks, Allan....:D

How much do you charge? I have an extra set of wheels I might send to you.

....Pricing depends on services you would like
(Tire, tube, truing, balancing, Etc.) Go have a
look at our website and watch the video and
see what you think. Thanks, Allan..:D

Back