What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any experience with the efis lite series from mgl avionics?

merlin3

Well Known Member
So i am looking at going glass with a single primary screen in my rv4. I really like the customization ability of the units. I am interested in the 10" version so if you have used any of their current displays i would appreciate any input or if you know of one for sale to save any money. Thanks.

I have a Discovery Lite running in a new panel I am building for our Xenos motorglider, and so far I am impressed with the readability. Haven't assembled the full plane yet (current;y building spars, so we have a way to go...), so can't give you much more info - I have it paired to one of their V6 radios, and hooking up the EFIS, radio, and remote units using their premade cables and bus structure took me about ten minutes from unpacking to power up - pretty slick. Of course, that's not a final installation....

MGL has a very functional way of wiring all of the Engine Management Systems....... a BIG plus and very easy to install, maintain and change later.

I have a Discovery Lite running in a new panel I am building for our Xenos motorglider, and so far I am impressed with the readability. Haven't assembled the full plane yet (current;y building spars, so we have a way to go...), so can't give you much more info - I have it paired to one of their V6 radios, and hooking up the EFIS, radio, and remote units using their premade cables and bus structure took me about ten minutes from unpacking to power up - pretty slick. Of course, that's not a final installation....

Paul what modules did you need besides the compass?

Paul what modules did you need besides the compass?

I think that in addition to the compass, it was just the EMS and the radio (not home to look at the workbench right now). There's also a temperature probe, and then we have a vario that we'll hook up for audio (this is a motorglider project).

We haven't pulled the trigger on a transponder/ADS-B solution yet, but I am sure that will be integrated as well.

Paul

We have a Pitts S1C with the MGL Xtreme EMS, V10 com and the MGL ALT-4 encoding altimeter. No PFD. So just our the engine monitoring package is "glass". I must say we are very pleased with the Xtreme EMS engine monitor and probes and RDAC remote integration box. The indications are quick and accurate and more importantly solid. They don't seem to waver as much as many engine monitors on values. On other brands I have seen more jumping around on numbers. Maybe the MGL probe connectors are better or there is some sort of damping algorithm built in. But the pressures, temperatures, fuel flow and RPM are as rock solid as steam gauges. Never have had any trouble.

Now, the MGL V10 comm is kind of a complicated turd. Not recommended. Something tells me their V6 comm is better but after our V10 experience I would lean towards a Trig TY91 or GTR 200 comm.

The V10 com did bring us to the discovery that MGL's US-based customer support is very good. Personal, competent and professional.

I know that the pop rivet crowd over at Sonex recommends MGL almost exclusively.

I can't speak to their PFD as we only have the EMS.

Jim

Mgl IEFIS LITE

I have the MGL Iefis lite in my RV-6 with mgl servosand it is a great unit,especially for what it cost. Also mgl is great to work with.
Lynn Gooch

Thanks for thr responses. Now i just have to decide to pull the trigger. I think i am just going to start with one of the iefis lites and engine sensors. I would like to install autopilot servos eventually. I just installed a garmin gtr 200 radio not long ago so wont use the mgl radio.

MGL 8.5 iEFIS Lite installed in RV-6

After 19 years of flying and several years of MGL's Xtreme usage I decided to upgrade to the Explorer 8.5" EFIS. Since this is a retro fit, the 8.5 was the largest that would fit with existing panel "stuff" that I did not want to change. Since I was removing the Xtreme EFIS, I already had the SP-6 and SP-7 installed; however, I did have to move the SP-7 AHARS as it interfered with the installation of the two 2.25" instruments (airspeed and altimeter) I deemed necessary for back-up. This provided me with dual AHARS.

I already had the CAN bus installed so that was a relatively easy electrical change since I also added the RDAC (finding space behind the panel was not). Now this is where things got a little complicated since I also wanted to retain my existing VM1000 and EC100 (Vision Micro products). You ask why, well it is like an old friend that you want to maintain a relationship with.

Since there are different signal requirements for the VM1000 and the RDAC, I found it simpler to install some dual sensors, oil pressure, fuel pressure, current sensor and oil temp ( the oil temp will require me to modify my remote oil filter mount for the second temp sensor) Sounds like a lot of work but relatively simple to do except for the oil temp.

The information displayed along with knobs and buttons are features I really like on the iEFIS as well as the minimal connections to it. This is where the CAN Bus really shines and there is no specific order you have to install the connected options, just don't forget to install the 120 ohm resistor on the last device.

When it gets to the software configuration, here is where I find it challenging. Those of you who love programming may find it "fun" but there is terminology I find difficult in understanding and the various map options that can be installed, modified to your liking etc, etc, etc. I just want it to work like Foreflight and it would be ice to be able to transfer a flight plan via bluetooth or WiFi from Foreflight. I knew what I was buying so I accepted the fact that it doesn't do that, just thought it would simplify my life.

The other thing I found needs improving is the installation and configuration documentation. Maybe it's just me, but I found it difficult to follow and lacking in the clarity of instruction, again it was the software part not the hardware. Also, you have to search around for various software and update locations on their website. Some comes from USA based location and some from South Africa. I hate calling Matt at MGL for every little thing that frustrates me. With that said, I called Matt who walk me through a number of items I was having issues with and got them taken care of. Matt also asked that I send him a picture of screen and he would remove items I was not using and send me a new screen file. Now things are good and still hoping for a Foreflight transfer of flight plans.

Well that's my take on installing the iEFIS Lite in my RV-6 and here are pictures of the panel.

IMG_0181.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w2vmbb53rmulok/IMG_0186.JPG?dl=0

I went ahead and built a whole new panel for my rv4 and installed a challenger lit. So far i have about 4 hours on it and love it.

I usually don't really want to see posts about a product from people that haven't actually used it in its intended environment... I guess I'm a hypocrite... here goes:)

Bought 10.4" Challenger light that will be going in a M14P powered Moose. Getting to know it pretty well sitting in my chair with it hooked up to a battery... good way to get used to it I believe. Very user friendly. Menus make sense and very adaptable to different types of sensors. Lots of options... a good thing. Can build your own screens for the computer nerds... not much of that in me unfortunately. Also have the V6 radio and it also seems user friendly considering its size 2.25" round. I plan on installing the 8.5" Explorer in my RV6 as soon as the funds are available. Matt is very knowledgeable, friendly and quick to respond. Hooking the whole thing up is a piece of cake with the CAN network! I'll be using the 4.3" Extreme EFIS in the Moose also, co-pilot side. Excellent little unit! It too is VERY user friendly and many functions and adaptable! Playing with it on the couch also. Glad to hear people like it.

Back