VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Andair Gascolator O-Ring

There is that old saying about "fool me once..." - I am rally tired of the O-rings for my Andair gascolator. If you purchase the correct O-ring they do not fit tightly against the bowl grove, making it almost a sure thing that the O-ring will be damaged during assembly. I am tired of replacing it every year only to find that the new O-ring fits as poorly as the one I am replacing. From searching the forums I do not think I am alone with this problem. I use Fuel Lube on the O-ring, so that could be causing drag as I assemble it. Regardless, I have decided that I am going to replace it with a "proper" fitting O-ring. After taking all of the measurements I have determined that an AS568-29 should fit properly. I have ordered Viton O-rings from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/#9464k291/=16rjar5 I may also try a -129, but think it will be too tight.
I will report back here my initial and on-going experience with these.

If anyone else has replaced their O-rings with a different size, please let me know what you used, and how it has performed.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Default Grease

Just a thought.
I use the DOW silicone grease on my o rings.
Same stuff I put on the oil filter gasket.
DC-4 is what it is called, I just looked and it is recommended for oil filters but not fuel....but DOW has other silicones that are.

Fuel lube is very sticky....wonder if that just makes a not so tight fit worse?
Louisa, Virginia KLKU
Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Yes, I am sure the fuel lube is not helping with the install, other than it does help keep the O-ring in the grove.
I use Dow Molykote 55 on my other O-rings, but did not want to use it on the fuel system.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Exclamation Does you follow the maintenance instriction?

Hello pa38112

Does you follow the maintenance instruction?

There it is mentioned, that you should use a NEW O-Ring, when you take the bowl of. This has a reason: The fuel will swell the o-ring over time. When you take the bowl of, the o-ring has now space to grow. After you cleaned the filter and bowl, your o-ring does not fit anymore, regardles which grease you are using. If you now force the bowl into position, you will damage your o-ring and generate a big risk, that the gascolator leak fuel and/or even greater risk, that your engine is sucking air ... and loose power soon.

I have found this situation by myself and two other buddy's ... I will do my two gascolators next weekend and will take a close look and make photos. I also have two o-rings from the last change, one year old on the shelf. I'm pretty sure they have again the original size ... they where swollen and dryed now. But I will not use them again.

RV-7A, TMX-IO-320, FM-150, Sensenich FP
Flying since 28. April 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Yes, I do replace them every time - that is my frustration. The new O-rings are not a good fit right out of the package.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Default O-rings

This is what I use.

2mm X 39mm V75 Viton O-ring Black

I order them through the o-ring store online. I tried 40mm, but they fit too loose.

-Andy
Old 03-16-2017, 03:17 AM

Default Let me check

Hello Keith

I understand that this is frustrating.

Let me check the situation next weekend, I have a few new o-rings from Andair here on my desk. Also the one that where in until next weekend and those that I took out last time.

I will report here.

Last edited by swisseagle : 03-16-2017 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Thank you. I will be interested to hear how the different O-rings from Adnair compare. My son has my plane until next weekend. When I get it back I will try a few and see what fits best. I have the following to try:

- Stock O-ring from Andair
- AS568-029
- AS568-128
- 2mm X 39mm
- 2.5mm X 39mm

For full disclosure, the "Andair" O-rings I have are from ACS; however, I think it is a safe bet that they get them from the OEM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Default No problem to change the bowl ...

Hello Keith

Today I opend one gascolator and cleaned the filter, put a new o-ring on and installed it again.

It was no problem at all! Also the old o-ring did not look'd bad/bigger!?

Old one:

New one:

Its difficult or nearly impossible to measure the o-ring size, because of the big diameter, you need a cylinder with the exact dimension to try and find out.

Toolshop is far away, so no quick trial.

I wonder if your o-ring that you purchased came like this or if your vendor buy them by himself someware else?

I made a video where I install the bowl ... buy my iphone dont want to share it ... give me time to find out. https://goo.gl/photos/tV9XNosfGaXG5mJD7

I also was whiping around the seat of the o-ring on the cascolator-housing, with the finger that I was putting a small amount of fuel lube. Not a visible amount, just to not have it dry there.

Last edited by swisseagle : 03-21-2017 at 05:46 AM. Reason: video-link placed
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM

I would suggest replacing the filter at around 500 hours. On the threads there is a bit of a coating that, along with the pipe thread, seems to hold the filter in place. Mine got a bit worn and at the next annual I found the filter in the bottom of the bowl! There is no way of knowing how long it was like that during the year.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com