What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 3500 data card / update

TShort

Well Known Member
I've searched but can't find the answer.

The -10 I'm buying has the AFS 3500 (non-s) in the panel.

I've got the right size SD cards, formatted appropriately, etc.

What I'm wondering is how to get the compressed .zip data onto the cards in the way the EFIS will recognize. I only have Macs, no Windows systems.

Can I unzip the file, and just move all contents onto the card, or is there some other process that has to be followed for the system to be able to read / use the data?

This is for updating the software and using map data.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Thanks.
I've been through the AFS site thoroughly.

I guess I should be more specific.

Does the EFIS require specific folder or file structures on the SD card in order to recognize it? The instructions on the web site aren't totally clear (to me, a non tech guy). I know on a Win machine you unzip and choose a location for the unzipped files, and they go straight to the SD card. The AFS site describes this process, and I don't know exactly what ends up on the SD card.

On the mac, unzipping creates a folder. In the case of the software, it is called:

AF3000V70500-MV15-AV40

Do I move this folder onto the SD card, or just move the files within it onto the card?

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but my experience has been that the systems are sometimes sensitive to the way things are put onto the cards, and I don't want to drive to the airport and find I formatted things wrong.

Thanks
Thomas

AFS fiiles

Initially this process confused me too, but it's actually very easy.

Download the AFS file. Click on the file to unzip it. You now have a second file. Click on the new file and that will take you to the contents of that file. Then move (drag and drop) all the contents of that file (generally three files) back to the root file. All five files now show in the root directory.

I use a Mac Mini for this process so it doesn't have to be Windows based.

The SD card needs to be named: AFS

This is the process I use for the 5000 series, but it looks like it is the same for 3000.

Rob (and others) at AFS are always very helpful, and generally immediately available.

I get confused along the way too.

I have downloaded the file to the SD card and then right clicked, extract amd then after the files unzip, delete the Zipped file.

Or like the post above from Jim

Thanks for the feedback.

So it sounds (from the above) that the SD card needs to contain the folder with the files in it, not just the files themselves.

I'll try that.

Thomas

Thanks for the feedback.

So it sounds (from the above) that the SD card needs to contain the folder with the files in it, not just the files themselves.

I'll try that.

Thomas

Correct. Just place the contents of the zip in the root of the SD card, maintaining the folder structure in the zip file.

There are three options.

Upgrades - folder structure is important

Data - the three files are located in the root, only one is updated every six weeks.

Charts - if you have a chart subscription, these are in a folder called Charts.

If you are still confused, drop me an email and I can provide the exact folder structure. BTW, there are four RV-10s an hour east of you in central Ohio. We usually hit I74, BAK, or MIE every once in awhile for breakfast or lunch on the weekends.

Bob-

Thanks for the info!

The -10 I'm buying is at BAK; we've eaten lunch in the restaurant there every day we've been down there for the last month. Currently undergoing remodeling, but they are open in the basement ... the view just isn't as good!

I'd like to meet up with you guys down the road - how do you coordinate?

Thomas

Bob-

Thanks for the info!

The -10 I'm buying is at BAK; we've eaten lunch in the restaurant there every day we've been down there for the last month. Currently undergoing remodeling, but they are open in the basement ... the view just isn't as good!

I'd like to meet up with you guys down the road - how do you coordinate?

Thomas

Interesting..... I thought it was one of the nicer airport restaurants. I can't imagine what they needed to remodel. When are the remodels due to be complete?

There is a central Ohio RV mailing list that is private. We currently have folks from Pittsburgh to FT Wayne on it. Send me an email with your email and I can get you added. Click on my userid above to send me an email. Please don't PM me.

Back