What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 Installation Preparation

Lizard Lips

In preparation for mounting, the Lycoming installation instructions call for removing the lower 4 spark plugs, turning the engine on its side(s) and draining any preservative oils that may be in the cylinders. That sucker is heavy and I am wondering how this is to be accomplished.

Any suggestions on how to do this by anyone? :confused:

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A about 80% complete ? ready to mount engine.
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly

2019 Dues Paid

I am thinking that merely removing the 4 bottom plugs after you have it mounted and plumbed and wired and cowled it. Just before you get ready for the first run, then and only then remove the bottom 4 plugs and wind the prop backwards a few turns will remove 95% of any excess preserve oil. I would think this is less risk than trying to rotate each cylinder bank down.

Your results may vary.

Good Luck

(And then before starting, follow Lycomings oil priming procedure to make sure you have oil in the pump, cooler,hoses and oil galleys, BEFORE any ignition and start up)

Last edited:
I am thinking that merely removing the 4 bottom plugs after you have it mounted and plumbed and wired and cowled it. Just before you get ready for the first run, then and only then remove the bottom 4 plugs and wind the prop backwards a few turns will remove 95% of any excess preserve oil. I would think this is less risk than trying to rotate each cylinder bank down.

Your results may vary.

Good Luck

(And then before starting, follow Lycomings oil priming procedure to make sure you have oil in the pump, cooler,hoses and oil galleys, BEFORE any ignition and start up)

That was sort of my plan. I was an aircraft mechanic in the Army and installed lots of engines ? mostly Continental but we never did anything like laying the engine on its side and draining any preservative oil. I agree 100% that the risk of rolling the engine on its side is far greater than simply draining any excess preservative oil through an already mounted new engine.

Today was a red-letter day anyhow ? hung the engine on my RV-14A. The end of the road is now faintly in sight :D

I just drained it by removing bottom plugs, and also a bunch came out when I removed the plug for the sniffle valve. Then I pulled the prop through a few times. I kept a hose attached to the sniffle valve (draining into a jug) for quite some time as I moved prop around and more kept coming out there. As previously mentioned, I waited to do this until I had to - kept oil in there as long as I could after mounting the engine.

Back