What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Flow Transdulcer (Red Cube) Mounting

Lizard Lips

Anybody have any pics, drawings or just plain advice about where to mount the Red Cube Fuel Flow Transducer on Tri-Gear RV-14A ? IO 390 engine? The plans are fairly understandable for the Tail Dragger mounting, but very non-descript about the Tri-gear mounting. Seems stupid, I know, but I would rather not have to do this twice! :D

Joe

Longview, Texas

RV-14A about 80% ?. Hung the engine today.

Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly.

Dues for 2019 paid.

Look at 43-01, it is set on top of a pair of white clamps on the left side intake pipes. One hose comes to it from the pump, another goes forward to the throttle. Page 43-09 shows it in detail. I did it exactly this way on my 14A. Later on you put some heat shields on the exhaust pipes to protect against radiant heat. Two were provided I got a third in there. That won't come until much later.

avoid the heat

I put my red cube exactly where the plans called it out on the RV14A, as recommended. The first red cube died from melted wiring on top of the cube. As a leap of faith I replaced it in the same sport and tried putting some heat protection on the wiring top this time. If this second one dies it will not be replaced in the same spot near the exhaust tube. I now have 200 hours on the new cube and still crossing my fingers.

I'd recommend it not go too close to the exhaust system if you have a chance.

Alan

Joe===mosts put it according to plans. Yes, a couple of hose length changes from the TD version to the A model.

Tom

Last edited:
Joe===mosts put it according to plans. Yes, a couple of hose length changes from the TD version to the A model.

Tom

I think what was confusing me was that I found two different pictures ? one for Tail Dragger and one for Tri-Gear.

Long story short, I installed it according to the plans with no problems. Installation looks good so hopefully it will last.:D

Joe

Back